chapter twenty-six

"honey?"

"in here!" i yell from our son's room as sitting on the floor reading files as he played with his toys and rolled around.

i managed to peel my eyes off the case files as i looked up at my husband as he stood in the doorway with his briefcase in his hand, suit still on since he just walked in the door.

"what are you doing on the floor, mi amor?"

"playing with our son." i smile. "liv sent me home early."

he chuckled as he squats down next to me, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"our son reading case files from amaro's father's case with you?"

"yep. he's pretty smart." i replied as he lifted joey into the air.

the baby giggled as my husband tossed him lightly and making noise.

"i guess he takes after mommy and daddy." my husband stated, as he then pressed a kiss to our son's head returning him to me. "i'm gonna go shower and get changed."

"later on, i think there is something we should discuss."

"everything okay? did i do something?"

"you didn't do anything. just when joey goes to sleep, we should talk about some things."

he simply nodded as he pressed a kiss to my lips.

~

i walked into the kitchen to rafael cooking dinner singing in spanish to our little one.

damn, that man always had a beautiful voice when he sang but he never liked to sing in front of other people.

he jumped when he finally noticed my presence.

"jesus!" he yelled out, jumping a bit. "you scared the shit out of me!"

i couldn't help but laugh at his reaction.

"i was memorized hearing you sing. i always am."

"thank you but i have the baby on my back and i'm cooking! that could've not gone well."

"you're very handy, you're fine." i tell him.

i was about to mention putting the little one in his swing when my phone rang.

"reagan."

"linda's shot." i heard my father's voice ring through the phone.

"where?"

"her hospital. both your brothers are on the way there."

"i'm on the way."

i hung up the phone, running into bedroom to change and to grab my gun and shield.

"what's going on?"

"linda's been shot."

"is she okay? what happened?"