chapter twenty-two

i stared at the baby in my arms

i stared at the baby in my arms. my baby.

you could tell he was getting big as each day passed. i knew it was a part of life, but i didn't know how much a parent felt it until after i had him.

little joey was around five months old at this point. he was a definitely a mix of rafi and myself. his little nose screamed reagan, but his eyes, lips, and hair were all his father.

"i gotta meet liv."

"where? at the squad?" i asked radio as he ran around the house, looking for things.

"no, her apartment. she didn't say what it was but it seems like she wants it confidential. she didn't want to talk about it in the office"

"well, i hope her and noah are okay." i thought for a moment. "i don't think herself or the squad are in legal trouble."

"i sure believe they are. don't worry." he assured me before cooing at his son as i placed him in his arms so i could then get ready for work.

"who's watching him today?" i heard my husband call out from the living room.

"pop should be here any minute!" i called back.

the minute the last word left my mouth, the doorbell rang.

a few minutes later, rafa ran into the bedroom with his coat on.

"i gotta get going. see you later, okay?"

i nodded as he pressed a kiss to my lips.

"love you."

"love you, too. have a great day mi amor."

"you too babe." i smiled before he gave me one last kiss and ran out the door.

i finished getting ready and walked out into the living room to see pop making little joe giggle with silly faces.

"i see you and joey have already made yourselves cozy pop." i tease my grandfather.

"well of course, we're pals don't you know?" he replied back.

"oh, don't i know it." i smile.

"he's gonna be the future cop or lawyer of the family, i just know it."

"got some instinct pop?"

he nodded. "i said the same thing about you when you were a baby. you were gonna be a cop for sure."