43

"Three second head start and you didn't try to run?" Jace came out the other side of the portal, "I'm disappointed."

"How far do you think I was gonna get in three seconds?" I stared at him, "And what's the point? You're just gonna catch me again anyway, right?-"

Jace grabs my arm and shoves me forward to make me keep moving, "Let's go."

"You know, we can run all you want." I walked with him, "It's only a matter of time before the guards from the Clave get to us- and then I'm right back to my execution."

Jace almost laughed at me, "That's why I activated your Anti-Tracking rune."

My jaw clenched, before spinning to look at him, stopping in front of him, "Let me talk to him."

"Please- let me have a minute with him." I stare into his eyes, "I want to talk to him."

Jace took a step towards me, his face inches from mine, "There is no version of this where your Jace wakes up and comes home."

I swallowed hard, my voice low, "Jace, I know you're in there- and I know you hear me. I am- so sorry-"

"We were so close- we were so close to bringing you home, but- she got to us." I felt nothing but guilt in my heart, "But, I will never give up on you- never."

"Who knew you had such a soft side to you?" Jace grabbed my face aggressively, his face close to mine. "The life you knew is gone- you belong to Lilith now."

"Come on!-" He threw me forward, before grabbing my arm, dragging me along with him, "Keep moving."

-

"Come on." Jace pushes me again when we walked down an alley, "It's not much farther now."

"When are you going to say that and actually be right?-" I stumbled lightly, my eyes falling onto a broken beer bottle next to a few cardboard boxes.

If the Clave doesn't find me, maybe Alec will.

I purposefully tripped, falling right by the glass, grunting lightly, putting my hand over a shard, Jace stopping, "Get up."

"Just give me a minute." I leaned back against the wall, using an excuse to add to my act, "I haven't stopped moving since Valentine's interrogation- do you know what it's like taking on a group of Circle members with a broken wrist?-"

"I'm sure it was light work for you-" Jace gripped my arm and pulled me to my feet aggressively, activating my Stamina rune, "You're gonna need your stamina."

I inhaled sharp when I felt the rush through my body, blinking a few times, as he gripped my arm tightly, pulling me along, "Let's go."

I squeezed the glass in my hand as tight as I could, feeling the wetness of my own blood fill my palm, a smirk falling onto my lips.

-

"The prodigal sister." A woman who I could only assume was Lilith looked back at me when Jace brought me through an apartment, all the mundanes that had been possessed stood in a row, "Well, this is certainly the welcome surprise-"

"I was not expecting it to be you-" Lilith folds her hands, "I thought I needed to use your sister as bait to lure you here."

"What can I say?" I clicked my tongue, tilting my head lightly to the side, "I look good in an orange jumpsuit."

Lilith slowly looked from me, to the sarcophagus, "The family resemblance is striking."

I blink, "To tell the truth, I just don't see it."