10

"Then they put Jace in, and that can't be, you know-" I heard Alec quietly speaking to someone as I walked into the Ops Center, my eyes landing on him right away.

He then sees me, as I immediately broke eye contact and began walking away quickly, not wanting to speak to him.

I was dressed in a crimson red long sleeve knitted sweater, one that was V neck, loose and ended right where my hips began, high waisted black jeans, and black combat boots.

"Just, hold on, one second-" Alec told them, heading over to me and standing right in front of me, blocking my way, "Where the hell have you been?"

"How is it any of your concern?" I began moving fast him, "Let's talk when you're not going out of your mind-"

"Zee." Alec grabbed my arm, stopping me, leaning into my ear, his voice deep, raspy and low, sending chills down my spine, "Jace and Clary are on the run- I can't protect you if you don't tell me the truth."

I turned my face slightly so I was staring directly in his eyes, my voice just as low, our faces almost inches apart, "Haven't I made it clear enough that I don't need anyone's protection?"

"Hey, just, tell me this." Alec sighs deeply, his voice falling to a quieter tone, "Is there any way that Raj could have seen anything incriminating?"

"If Isabelle didn't tell you anything, don't expect anything from me." I pulled my arm from his hold, shouldering past him, walking away as Lydia watched me while questioning Raj.

-

I sat on a table in the Ops Center, one leg folded up, one leg hanging off of it.

I held a tablet in my hands, my right arm resting against my leg as I looked through the reports once more, double checking that everything was correct on it.

Alec stood a few feet away from me, his side to me as he stared at the monitor, his arms crossed.

Isabelle was a few feet away as well, holding a tablet of her own, keeping her distance from Alec.

Lydia entered the Ops Center with Raj behind here, stopping behind Alec, "I'm sorry."

Alec looks back at her, watching her and Raj walk past him, "For what?"

When I notice them walking toward me, I place the tablet down and slipped off the table, standing straight.

"Zee Morgenstern, by order of the Clave, you are under arrest for high treason." I almost cringed at how she said my true full name, clenching my jaw.

I blink, doing a double take, "I'm what?"

Raj comes behind me, hand cuffing my wrists toward behind my back.

"What?" Alec walked over to us, defensively speaking on my behalf, "On what grounds?"

Isabelle's attention was caught as well as Margaret's, as they walked over quickly, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Lydia stood still, "Only a handful of people knew about the Meliorn op."

Raj looks down at me, pulling out my stele from my back pocket, "And everyone knows she's a Morgenstern."

"Assuming I lead the ambush based on what family I come from." I stared at Lydia dead in the eye, unaffected, "You've got yourself a real catch, Alec."

Isabelle scoffs in disbelief, "You're taking her into custody because of the type of blood that runs in her veins?"

"Zee's a Young." Margaret added in, "Don't you dare claim her as a Morgenstern to prove a point."