23

"I thought these wards were airtight." Aldertree said to Alec and I when we met up in the Ops Center, everyone on the move, the alarms blaring and the lights blinking red.

"That apparently doesn't seem to be the case, does it?" I remarked, flipping my kindjals in my hands, looking at Aldertree, "How many soldiers are here?"

"Only two dozen." Aldertree said, "Everyone else is out dealing with the Downworld attacks-"

"I'll take the entry with Zee." Alec nodded once at him, holding his bow and arrow tight.

"We'll cover the weapons room." Aldertree nodded back and walked away with his group of soldiers.

I swallowed hard, gripping my kindjals tight while walking with Alec toward the entrance, "You think this is my dad?"

Alec exhales, "Only one way to find out-"

I halt when Madzie caught my eye, everyone stopping along with me, Alec instructing to them, "Hold your fire-"

"Madzie?" I let my guard down slowly, taking a step closer to her, "You didn't- do this, did you?-"

Madzie looks at me, "I'm sorry."

My eyes trailed behind her to see the trail of bodies, my heart stopping at the sight, not words leaving my mouth.

And then, Valentine slowly walked in behind her, his hands behind his back, grinning toward me.

My heart dropped, my breathing slow, "Dad-"

"Hello, Zee-" Valentine greeted me, and before we could get ready to defend ourselves, Madzie used her magic to throw Alec into the elevator, waving her hand towards me at the same time, as I suddenly felt dizzy, falling to the ground, my vision going black.

-

A small grunt left my lips when I came to, my body feeling sore as I felt myself on the ground.

My eyes opened, blinking a few times to focus my vision, noticing the chains around my wrists as I slowly sat up, looking around to see I was in an empty room.

I got up quickly, noticing how I was weaponless, rushing to the door to try and open it, only for it to be locked.

I raised my foot to kick it open, when Valentine's voice filled my ears from behind, "Hello, my dear-"

I froze and turned, looking at him, "Dad-"

"It's been a while- last time we saw each other- I recall you jumping off my ship?" Valentine crossed his arms and stared at me, "Now- what was that about? I thought we were in this together."

"Seriously, dad?" I swallowed hard, thinking of a lie on spot, "We are in this together- you think if I stayed on the ship, I would've won their trust over?"

Valentine scoffed lightly at me, "You've grown soft, Zee- you came back to them-"

"They never made me soft- I learned my lesson." I stepped closer to him, "You don't think I know you need me for the Soul Sword? As long as they think I'm on their side- I'm not a target. They won't stop me when they see me near the sword- they'll think I'm trying to stop you."

Valentine stares at me, his expression faltering, "You've been here undercover?"

"Of course." I pulled lightly on the chains he had around my wrists, "I'm with you- til the bitter end."

I took a step closer to him, "Now, why don't you let me out of these and we can go activate that damn sword?"

"Not just yet-" Valentine gripped my arm and pulled me out of the room and into Aldertree's office, where Simon sat tied to a chair, my eyes widening at the sight, "You need to prove your loyalty to me."