49

"Zee-" Jace breathed out when I came down the steps, slipping back on my leather jacket after he had taken me to the City of Bones for treatment. "Are you okay? How was it-"

"It was fine." I simply said, crossing my arms, coming to a stop right in front of him.

"Okay, that's good-" Jace scanned my face. "What'd they do to you?"

"Nothing." I stared at him blankly. "They couldn't do a damn anything. Apparently the demonic tether that binds me to Jonathan is stronger than anything they've ever seen before, so- nothing."

"Well, look- it doesn't mean we're out of options." Jace sighed lightly, assuring me.

I wasn't comforted. "Jace."

"Look, you saw that illustration with me." Jace pointed out. "Michael separated himself from Lucifer- that means there has to be a way."

"Well, the last time I checked- none of us have a clue where to even begin, and-" I paused for a few moments and looked away in thought. "Wait- maybe we should go straight to the source."

Jace stares. "Are you talking about Lilith?"

"Yeah." I looked at him. "She gave me the rune- I mean, no one in their right mind would carry out something like that without knowing every aspect of it-"

"No, no, no-" Jace immediately shook his head. "Look, we just got rid of her- and it almost cost you your life."

"Living like this is costing me it anyways." I shot back at him. "It's only a matter of time because this rune pushes me over that edge and I'm back to square one-"

"Zee." Jace grabbed my arms and stared at me deeply. "You're one of the strongest people I know- you'll get through this- we'll find another way."

"No, Jace- you don't understand." I argued. "This rune- I can't beat it. It's too strong, and so far- I'm just trying to endure it for as long as I can. I can't overpower it- I can't- resist. I let Jonathan ago- again- and after what happened with Aline-"

"Listen, Aline didn't mean to provoke you like that." Jace squeezed my arms gently. "She's just in her head with Jonathan being back-"

"That doesn't excuse the way I almost killed her." I snipped at him. "Or the fact that I let Jonathan go instead of bringing him in. Jace, I've become a liability- and soon-"

"Don't go through-" Jace cut me off immediately. "You won't-"

"You don't understand!" I lashed out at him. "The darkness- I can feel it in me! I can feel it growing stronger and stronger and I don't know how long I can keep fighting- and then I'll-"

"Hey, listen to me." Jace stopped me and grabbed my face. "You are a good person."

My voice dropped. "No I'm not."

"Yes you are." Jace shot me down. "You're a good person. You've done nothing but protect everyone you care about- you've done nothing but protect our world. No rune is gonna change that who you are."

-

"Come on, Magnus." I heard Catarina's panicked voice when Jace and I walked toward Alec's office. "Stay with me- come on!"

"Catarina, he just collapsed-" Alec's voice followed and was rushed. "You have to do something- he's not breathing-"

Isabelle's gasp filled my ears. "By the Angel!"

I picked up my speed and rushed into his office to find Magnus on the floor, unconscious and bleeding. "Magnus?-"

Jace was close behind me. "Magnus-"