13

"Have you spoken with Lydia?" Alec asked Maryse as I was hidden in the hall, "No one's seen her since the wedding."

When Maryse doesn't reply, Alec sighs deeply, "Mom, come on."

Robert's voice followed, "Maryse."

Alec was considerate, "Mom, I understand you're upset, but this is-"

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing but kissing her in front of the entire Institute?" Maryse spun to face her son when I peaked to look at them, "You've embarrassed all of us."

"Why?" Alec questioned, "What's the problem?"

"That you chose Zee Morgenstern!" Maryse bursted, "Valentine's daughter!"

"I understand that." Alec had his hands behind his back, "I still chose her."

"Why aren't you comprehending the difference between Zee and Lydia?" questioned Maryse, "Zee turned on us- she was in league with Valentine!"

"Unwillingly, and was." Alec defended me, "Being in league with Valentine wasn't her fault."

"She could have you fooled!" Maryse shook her head, "Alec, there's so much that you don't know about her."

"How is that true?" Alec snipped back at his mother, becoming slightly frustrated, "I grew up with her."

"That's exactly it!" Maryse busts, "She isn't the same person you fell in love with!"

This makes my heart stop.

"She's a completely different person- she doesn't know who she used to be!" Maryse continued, "You need to get that through your head and stop being so naive."

"Maybe not- but, I know despite what Valentine has done to her, she's still the Zee I knew deep down." Alec wouldn't let her convince him, "I won't give up on her like you have- none of us will."

"And if you have a problem with Zee and I, then- I suggest you deal with it." Alec told it to her straight, "Now, I have to go find Lydia."

"She's probably packing for Idris in your father's office." Maryse exhales deeply, "What she did-"

"Saved my life." Alec cut her off before she could finish, "So- I should go thank her."

I spun and walked further into the hall, making it seem like I wasn't listening.

Alec walked over to me, as I exhale deeply, pressing my hands together, "On a scale of one to ten?"

"Off the charts." Alec admits truthfully, sighing, "Yeah, I've never seen them so angry."

"I mean- maybe, they just need some time." I shrug lightly, "It was a big- shock."

Alec shook his head lightly, "After what I did- I don't think they'll ever forgive me."

"Don't say that." I hugged myself, "They will."

"No sarcastic comment from you?" Alec looks between my eyes, "It's almost like I'm talking to a different person-"

I gently hit his arm, a small smile on my lips.

"Hey, uhm-" I clear my throat, placing my hands on my hips, looking away as I said this as if I was embarrassed, "You don't regret it, do you?"

"No- it's just-" Alec sighs, "Everything happened so fast- I didn't have time to think."

I don't reply, keeping my stare away.

I felt Alec gently grab my face, caressing my cheek with his thumb, "I don't regret a thing."

Truthfully, I was so scared.