3

"I still don't understand." Clary's voice filled my ears as I was seated at a table in the Ops Center, chewing on a piece of spinach I just shoved into my mouth out of the red container I held, "How can Shadowhunters be better than than what you people call mundanes?"

Isabelle's voice came next, "Because we protect humans."

I knew they were all a few feet behind me but I kept my back turned towards them, not even bothering to turn around.

"You're right- humans." Clary shot back at her, "You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys- you rock."

When I heard Alec's voice, I shoved another bite of the salad I was eating into my mouth to hold back a smirk, "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

Isabelle's tone was sharp, "Alec, not now."

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." Jace told Clary, "They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But- why do they think that- why does anyone think that?" Clary bursts, "What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." What am I supposed to do now?"

Alec's footsteps came closer, "We have to report to the Clave, they have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father?" Clary confronts him, "Great, fine- tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected." Jace said, "The vamps want the Cup."

"Why?" She asked, "It makes new Shadowhunters."

Alec speaks, "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself."

"Plus, it controls demons." Isabelle adds in.

"They'll propose a trade." Jace brought up, "Simon for the Cup."

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup- either way, I lose someone I love." Clary sighs deeply, "What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

Alec scoffs, "So this doesn't matter to you?"

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary bursts, "Listen when you saved my life I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me- I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true." Isabelle agreed, "She was raised as a mundane."

Alec remarks, "What are you, her spokesman now?"

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary's footsteps came closer to me and suddenly they were all around the table I sat at, "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens- I mean, can any of this help me find Simon?"

I looked at all of them, noticing how Jace, Isabelle and Alec were looking at me, "Hello?"

Jace leaned his hands against a chair, "Are you eating a salad?"

"Well, since I'm going to be staying here, I figured I would look around and I found this salad in the kitchen-" I shrug and slouched in my seat, "Turns out, greens aren't that bad actually."

Alec pursed his lips to hold back a smile as I told them my choice, Jace shrugging, "I'm pretty sure there was some spaghetti in the fridge."

"The only food Valentine properly knows how to make is spaghetti." I shoved another bite into my mouth, "You have no idea what that's like."