Chp. 18

I woke up in the middle of the night, it was Saturday and there were no classes today, and I was extremely grateful. 

I couldn’t stop thinking about last night, the way Devon’s ribs were so visible… 

I knew immediately it wasn’t normal. 

I wanted to ask her straight up, but then again she could always lie to me and say she was sick and didn’t want to eat. If she didn’t feel comfortable telling me she would refuse, I had seen that already with the fight with Rachel.

Which by the way I still had no idea what went down that night between them.

What if she would never tell me? What if I would have to go looking for the answer my self? Where would I actually find it?

Devon’s parents? Friends?

I was at a dead end again, and I was worried for Devon, if she had depression problems… I needed to know. I needed to find her help if I wasn’t enough… 

The last thing I wanted was for something to happen to her. 

Devon stirred in her bed and I smiled, she was facing me but her eyes were still closed. She looked so damn peaceful, at night it took me awhile to fall asleep sometimes… I knew Devon did to because she stirred constantly. 

I wanted to wake her, I wanted to see her beautiful eyes, her smile…

But instead I dozed off once again. 

~O~

I was running, running somewhere, I just didn’t know where. It looked as if I was running into nothing, complete blackness… there was nothing beyond me, behind me, on the sides… it was as if I was going nowhere. 

What was I running from? Pain? Love? Regret? The truth?

Then I was in a car, truck to be exact. When did I get in here?

The yellow lines in the middle of the street, we weren’t on our side, I wasn’t’ driving but I couldn’t see who was. 

There was no one driving. 

I was sitting in the passenger seat, no seatbelt… then that’s when I looked back up at the street, completely petrified. 

Everything happened entirely to fast, I just saw headlights coming straight for us, me screaming.

I couldn’t breathe, and then I started to panic.

~O~

“Amanda? Amanda! Wake up!”

I was being shaken away, I was startled, sweating, and choking for air. I looked up at Devon, she looked frazzled, I must’ve woken her with my screams. She sat on my bed, “You ok?”