Chp. 36

-DEVON’S POV-

It was Saturday morning, the day after I had called Amanda, and I still had yet to get an answer from her. Why was she being so damn stubborn? Was I going to have to go to her damn house just to talk to her? Did she hate me that much?

The voicemail… well I think it sounded pretty damn convincing to me. Sincere… and it was all true. I did miss Amanda, but maybe it was to much… maybe it sounded to creepy. 

Then all of a sudden my phone vibrated, and I didn’t even look at the caller ID and I answered, “Hello!?”

A deep voice echoed through the phone and my heart sank, it was just Emerson, “Hey stranger! Where have you been? I miss you…”

I rolled my eyes, sure, Emerson was a great friend, and really cute… but he was the last person I wanted to talk to right now. I hated that, waiting for someone special to call or text and when you do get one you’re al to excited and it’s not even the person you want it to be. 

I sighed, “Hey Emerson, I went away, family time… but I’m back now.”

I heard the smile in his voice, but it also held concern, “Would you want to hang out?”

There was really nothing better to do, and maybe it would get my mind off of Amanda even though I was still pissed she hadn’t called me yet. I sighed, “Sure, when?”

“Right now, I can come over and we can watch movies, or go to the mall and shop, have lunch… you name it.”

I sighed, “Let’s go to the mall.”

I heard the negative-ness in his voice toward my answer but he complied, “Ok, I’ll pick you up in a few.”

I clicked the phone off and stared at it, waiting for Amanda’s name to popup on the screen. I waited five minutes, then ten, then fifteen, then Emerson was knocking on my door. 

I stood, opening it and being pulled into a tight hug, and I smelt him, he smelt good. Maybe this wasn’t a bad idea… maybe this was something I needed… something I needed to do to help me. 

We were on our way to the mall, he had even managed to make me laugh at one of the stupid jokes and I looked at him. His dark hair falling above his grayish blue ones, his smile was dazzling… so why wasn’t I physically attracted to him? 

I hadn’t been attracted to anyone since Rachel… well, except…

No, not her. 

He parked, looking at me, “You seem really absent. You okay?”

I nodded, trying to push the recent thoughts out of my head and answer him smoothly, “Y-Yes, why?” But I obviously failed miserably. 

He shrugged, shoving his car keys into his pocket, “You just look down, that’s all.”