Chp. 27

-AMANDA'S POV-

It shocked me when Devon climbed into my bed last night. I didn't know how to take it, but I wasn't going to tell her no, that's for sure. 

One second she was mad at me and then the next she was curling up into my chest....

It was confusing. 

I felt bad, when I played her the song, she was furious at me. How could I write a song word for word, exactly like Rachel's? When I had never even heard that song in my life until I conjured it up in my head yesterday?

Was that even explainable?

It was 7:43 in the morning, Devon's sleeping body still curled into me. It was relaxing feeling her warmth again, it had been so long....

 We didn't have morning classes today, instead we would be going to yoga. I smiled, Devon in tight yoga pants...

Sweet Jesus. 

I shook my head, it was bad thinking about Devon like that... but I really couldn't help it. 

Then, as if the 17 minutes were actually 3, the alarm sounded. I leaned over Devon as she groaned, turning the alarm off, "So, how does yoga sound?"

"Like crap."

I laughed, "C'mon, you know you'll feel better after."

"Fine."

I sang victoriously in my mind as her and I lifted ourselves off of the bed. Maybe today was going to be a better day. 

Soon enough we were heading across campus to the gym, and we were hustled into stretching once we got there. 

And I couldn't help sneaking glances at Devon. 

She had the perfect body, even though she was a little to skinny for my liking. 

Which was another thing I was worried about. 

***

I was packing up my towel and water bottle when a girl skipped over to me, "Hey, are you Amanda Phillips? You played with Trevor at the lounge?"

I looked at her, "Yea, why?"

"You were really good... I'm going next Friday, hopefully you'll play again?"

I smiled, "I'll be there, don't worry."

She gave me a really cute smile, then she was gone out the door. 

Devon walked up behind me, "So you're getting really famous around campus?"

I looked at her, smirking, "You think?"

She rolled her eyes, "I heard what the girl asked you Amanda."

I smiled, "Guess I am then."

She tugged on my arm, lacing hers through mine, "Let's get some lunch, I'm starved."

Starved. 

"What's the last thing you ate?"

She looked up at me, as if she had to think about it, "Um, I'm not really sure."

I fell silent, this is what my next problem was. I needed to help Devon before she really hurt herself and ended up in the hospital. 

We walked into the familiar café where her and I first went eat, the waitress walked up and spoke, "Do you two need some time?"

I spoke before Devon could, "No ma'am, we would both like two large chocolate malts, a cheese burger with everything on it, and both an order of fries."

She looked at me for a split second, and then jotted down our order, "Ok, it'll be out in a few."

Devon's eyes were locked on me, she knew why I had did that. She knew that I knew she was starving herself, but why! Why was she hurting herself like that?!

Devon spoke, "Amanda..."

I shook my head, "Why are you not eating?"

"I don't... I don't know... I'm just not hungry."

I clenched my fist, she was making me mad now, "That's not an excuse to not eat all day Devon."

She let her eyes fall to her hands folded in her lap, she was hurting, I knew that much, but she still needed to eat. 

I looked at her, she had tears rimming her eyes, but she wasn't allowing them to fall. she sighed, "I'm depressed Amanda..."

Then all of a sudden her hand found mine under the table, my heart jumped to my throat. She squeezed my hand for reassurance, "Maybe... I need to get away, go home for some time... I'll still go to school... I'll just stay at my house."

No... that's not what I wanted... 

I shook my head, "You don't wanna be my roommate?"

She smiled, "It's not that Amanda, you remind me so much of Rachel... maybe I just need more time to get closure from her. Then come back..."

I felt my heart rate speed up, my palms were sweaty, "Wait... you want to... avoid me?"

My voice cracked on the last word, I felt tears sting my eyes... no. She couldn't leave me... I couldn't let her leave... 

I swallowed, "How long?"

She shrugged, "I'm... not sure."

I released her hand and I looked at her, unable to understand why she was doing this. I could do nothing to make her stay though, and if she needed space... then she could have it. I wouldn't be able to watch her, make sure she ate... but maybe her family would do that for me.

I nodded in disagreement, "Want me to help you pack?"

***