Chp. 39

-DEVON’S POV-

God I really didn’t like parties all that much anymore… ever since Rachel’s death… but that was almost an entire year ago. Even though it felt as if it was yesterday…

I was looking at Amanda, her light green eyes boring into mine. 

Over time, when she left for that month… I really couldn’t lie to myself anymore. I had grown fatally attracted to Amanda… and I felt the twinge of jealousy in the pit of my stomach as I watched them talk. The girls hand found Amanda’s knee, and I felt the pit grow darker, and it hurt.  

I smiled, and started making her way over to her. 

I felt my heart flutter inside my chest, I wanted her to wrap me up in her arms… I didn’t want anyone else to have her attention but me. 

She wrapped one arm around my neck, “How was the talk with Emerson?”

I shrugged, “Could‘ve been more awkward.”

She faced me, I could see something was eating at her, but she never let me know what. She had been acting so strange the last couple of months, going to tell me one thing and then backing out. It got to me, but I never wanted to push her to tell me. 

“Can we go outside?”

My eyes found hers, I hated when people did this… because it was usually about something bad… which scared me. 

I studied my best friend, feeling the nagging pain in my chest, she resembled Rachel so much. Entirely to much… and I always had this reoccurring thought that it was Rachel. 

But it wasn’t, it was just Amanda Phillips.

The more I thought about it the more I would make myself believe Rachel was standing here next to me, Amanda had changed dramatically. 

And it was after she met me. 

I put two and two together, but after she started waking up, having the same dream every night, screaming bloody murder…

Well, I knew something was wrong. 

We were standing outside… and it reminded em so much of that dreadful night. 

Me and Rachel… the confrontation. . 

Then Amanda spoke, “Those dreams… they’re really taking a toll on me.”

She locked eyes with me, she looked worn, like something… had been bothering her? She was sad… it was obvious… “I die every time… in a car wreck.”

I shuddered at her words… Rachel… God. Everything she talked about reminded me of Rachel.