Chp. 29

The next couple of days were dreadful, I tried hanging out with Trevor like Devon had told me to do but it didn’t numb the pain at all… she had skipped Algebra class to… Monday and Wednesday morning…

She was avoiding me. 

Emerson had even come up to me and asked me where she was, but once again, I had to tell him she was taking time to “sort things out”.

Which, by the way, I still didn’t know what that meant. 

It was Wednesday evening, I was spending it with Trevor, we were practicing and I was trying not to break down. Then all of a sudden he set his guitar down and asked, “Amanda… I hate seeing you like this.”

I shrugged, “I can’t do anything Trevor,” I fell back onto his bed, feeling the soft pillow cradle my head. I felt the tears sting my eyes and the lump grow but I refused to let either of them rupture.

He stood, setting his guitar on the stand and looking down at me, “You miss her?”

I nodded, “Of course…”

He tilted his head, “You love her?”

I shrugged, “I’m not really sure…”

Which was a lie, because you and I both knew I was madly in love with her for no apparent reason. But admitting it… well it would make it all to real. 

“How can you not know?”

I felt the rage build in my chest, Why did it matter? I leaned up, looking at him, his eyes boring into mine, I stood, “Because Trevor, I don’t think I’ve ever loved anyone as much as I love that girl, and I barely know her!”

He held his hands up, “Woah, it was just a question…”

I slumped back down to his bed, regretting getting worked up because of Devon… it wasn’t fair. How could she just leave? Not care at all? Well she did care, she just didn’t pay any attention to it. She knew leaving me would hurt me… but was she really in that much pain?

Sure, her and Rachel had a fight, she died, and Rachel was in love with her… 

Did that mean Devon was in love with her to? She just didn’t realize it until Rachel was actually gone?

Was that what she was hurting over? She was just to afraid to tell me?

I looked up at Trevor, “I think I’m gonna head home.”

He looked at me, tilting his head, “You still gonna play Friday?”

I shrugged, “Yea… see you tomorrow?”

He nodded, “See you.”