Chp. 28

It was Friday evening and I was helping her pack some of her clothes for the time she was expecting to be back with her family. 

It really sucked, to. 

She threw her backpack over her shoulder, looking at me, and I suddenly felt the urge to kiss her. I could see it in her eyes that she was sad that she was leaving me behind, maybe even a little regret, but she wasn’t going back on it. 

She placed her hand on my knee as she sat down on my bed next to me, “It’ll be ok… hang out with Trevor. I just need to sort some things out, ok?”

I nodded timidly, even though I was insanely close to crying, “Okay.”

She stood, and I looked up, “Drive safe, text me when you get home.”

She smiled weakly, “I will.”

Then she was gone. 

I stared at her empty bed, wondering what I was going to do the days to come where I would have to room to myself. I would sleep alone, be alone when I came home, no one to comfort me when I screamed at night from the horrid reoccurring nightmare. 

Then the door swung open, Devon walking in and I stood, “Forgot something?”

She didn’t answer, her hands just wrapped immediately around my neck, and I pulled her into me. I don’t know why she hugged me, and I don’t know why she was crying… but I was hoping it was for a good reason.

That she would miss me. 

She pulled back, “I’m sorry… I just, please be here when I get back.”

I smiled weakly, “Of course.”

Then she turned, and headed back out the door. 

Not returning this time. 

***

It was Saturday night, I wanted to call Devon but I figured it was to early. She declared she wanted space, time to sort out her feelings… so I would let her. 

Did that consist of me not talking to her in class when I saw her? No texting? Nothing?

I ran my hand through my wet hair, feeling the warm water run down my face, cleaning away my tears. 

I missed her already, and it had only been a single day. 

What did she have to figure out? Her feelings? Her loneliness that I could obviously not fill? When was she going to come back?

Thanksgiving vacation was coming up in a week… would I not be able to see her then to?