Chp. 1

Watching her out there on the dance floor, I was longing for her… I needed her, I needed her to know… She needed to know the truth.

You’ve loved her for four years, don’t you think it’s time you tell her? She’s your best friend…

Yea, I know that already… but I might get a no…

The answer will always be no if you never ask… besides, what have you got to lose?

Right, I was going to Julliard, it was amazing getting a scholarship there for my guitar… my whole life was ahead of me… right?

I stared at Devon Hall, my best friend for four years, the girl I’ve been in love with. We had this summer, then I would most likely never even see her, I would be up north in New York and she would be down here attending Florida State University…

Without me.

Her blonde waves bouncing off her shoulders as she moved to the music, then her eyes caught mine, and she smiled a million dollar smile. She ran over to me, grabbing my hands, “Why aren’t you dancing?! C’mon!”

She pulled me up, the electricity flowing through my hands where she was grabbing me.

How could she not feel that to?

She pulled me closer, dancing next to me but I was in a trance, she was so beautiful… I wanted to kiss her. I needed to tell her the truth, now, no more holding back. It was now or never, do or die, and I tried to pump myself up with a pep talk.

I pulled her into me, smelling her cinnamon gum and vanilla body wash, I smiled, “I need to tell you something…”

She looked at me, as if she read my mind, but I knew she had no idea… I had made it so obscure for her to see. I was already an outed lesbian, she knew that much, but she had no idea I was in love with her.

I pulled her outside into the summer night air, feeling the humidity wrapping around us like a curtain. Suddenly it became hard to breathe, it was all coming down to this final moment. I needed to spill, I wanted to tell her, I needed to…

It was a must now.

She tilted her head, “You ok Rachel?”

I nodded, snapping out of my thoughts at the sound of my name, I stuttered, “I-I, uh yea… I’m fine. I just… there’s something you need to know before I leave for Julliard.”

She was still bobbing to the music that was coming from inside, though it was faint. She was in a happy mood, totally oblivious to the life altering sentence I was about to tell her. Everything was about to become really amazing… or horrid, and it was scaring me.

Bad.

I swallowed hard, “Devon… I-I uh…”

She grabbed my arm, sending my heart to my throat, then down to my stomach, “You ok? Why are you so nervous?”

God she was so naïve, and I felt bad all of a sudden, did I want to ruin this relationship we had? This perfect, trusted relationship between us?

“The answer will always be no if you never ask…”

Just say it Rachel, stop being a baby, she needs to know. Now.

Suddenly I blurted, “Devon I’m in love with you.”

There was no time to sugar coat it, no time to explain myself. Everything happened in fast motion from then on, and as I watched tears fall from Devon’s lightning blue eyes… I knew it wasn’t going to be a happy ending for me.