Chp. 12

Hali played with my hair, “Could just be the sun giving you natural highlights… it’s possible.”

I nodded, just agreeing with it because I was to shocked to do anything but comply. My hair was turning a different color… on it’s own…

How was that even possible?

We continued with our shopping trip and eventually I was on my way back to my dorm. Tomorrow I would visit my family, having lunch with them was the best idea. I needed to call mom but I would do that later… I was just to psyched out to do anything else but drive.

When had my hair done that? Last night? Because yesterday I don’t remember my hair miraculously looking different. 

I drove up to the parking lot for the dorms and I noticed Devon’s car was still here, and I smiled. Maybe she had waited up for me. It was only 5 at night and I’m sure she spent the day with her mom… or Emerson, but she was home, and I was excited to see her. 

I started unlocking the door when I noticed someone down the hallway, and I unconsciously glanced. 

It was Samantha, staring dead at me. 

I felt my heart speed up, I wanted to die right then and there just by the look she was giving me. She was seriously freaking me out and I just held my hand up, slightly waving and disappearing into my room. 

What. The. Fuck…?

Then I heard sobbing, I turned and Devon was there, trying to cover up her tears. “Shit I’m sorry Amanda… I didn’t know…”

I rushed to her, not even realizing what I was actually doing. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and that’s when I felt it, the electricity flowing through me. The adrenaline running through my body… I spoke softly, “Devon… what’s wrong? Seriously…?”

She was trying to control her crying, but she couldn’t, she was really hurting. She whispered, “I… don’t know… all I wanna do is cry. All the time Amanda. I hate that I just met you and you’ve already been introduced to all of my problems… I’m usually really good at holding it all in… but now… I just cant.”

I rocked her back and forth, trying hard to comfort her, seeing her cry broke my heart. I hugged her tighter, “Listen, I’m here, you and I have a cool relationship. I’m here to listen to you.”

Sure, I had my own problems lined up down the line but she was hurting bad, and seeing her like this… well I hated it. She looked at me, and that’s when I realized she had noticed exactly what Hali had pointed out at the mall. 

“Your hair… when did you…?”

I shook my head, “I didn’t Devon, I never touched my hair.”

She studied me, and I could see the pain grow inside her eyes as she did so. I saw her jaw clench down, as if she was trying to control her emotions, “You look… like Rachel.”