Chapter 24

Irene's POV

Time has been running. I am locked in this car with the one I lost back then.

No, you locked yourself in.

She's sleeping peacefully and here I am, watching every tick of the clock. Deep inside I don't want this to end. Deep inside I don't want her to wake up and freak out, but deeper inside I wanted her to wake up and recognize me as the one she loved.

I turned to her side and adjusted her head on the headrest when I heard her groaning, she's probably uncomfortable of her position.

Her sweat sticks on my hand. She's sweating too much. It's somehow hot inside but I don't want to open the window. I don't know where should I adjust the air-condition too since I'm not used to this type of car.

She began to look more annoyed as she scratches her arms. She's still reeking of alcohol but I can smell no disgust.

"Do you feel hot?" I asked, brushing my fingers on her head.

I smiled seeing annoyance in her expression, like how she would look annoyed when I tease her back then. She hasn't changed. She's still that Seulgi...

A grown up one.

"Should I take off your sleeves?" I mumbled, hoping she would answer.

"Not in my dream again, Irene..." she murmured.

Does she think she's dreaming?

I held her hands and it's like the thing I've been longing to hold. I wish I could hold these whenever I want. I wish I could still...

"If money could bring us back in time, I would spend it all because Seulgi...I've never loved anyone like you. I can't seem to find my life, Seulgi. I have two daughters and successful husband but all I want is you...just you..." I mumbled while holding her hands so tight.

"You should be wearing the ring you bought. I should be wearing it instead of wearing a ring from someone who isn't you...I'm sorry. You don't know how much regrets I've been keeping inside. I can't accept that...that you're finally happy without me—because if I wasn't a coward, it should've been me, right? Right?"

"We will work together until we get a stable life. We'll get Ryujin from the orphanage and we'll live happily, right? Tell me that would've happened if I'm not a coward...tell me that would've happened because...because that's what I wanted to."

"Seulgi...I want you back. You're my life. I can't seem to forget you...Seulgi...I can't. I'm tired of suffering alone..."

Her hand moved that's why I looked up, only to see her eyes open.

"Stop crying. What happened, happened already. Just stop haunting me and making me feel guilty about being useless back then...I don't love you anymore but you still knows how to hurt me." Seulgi mumbled before parting her hands with mine, she suddenly held the back of my head and pulled me in a hug.

"Stop haunting me. I'm sorry for being someone who's not capable of things that would make you stay. I'm sorry I was just me back then..." she whispered next to my ear. She's still drunk and she's probably thinking she's dreaming.