Chapter 4

Hyunjin's POV

First day of being back to my old school and here I am, tryna' sneak from the gate here at the back of our school. Studying suck. It's so boring. Besides, Yeji's there, why would I care about my grades?

No matter how I try to improve myself—mom and dad won't notice it either. I'll always be the stubborn and naughty guy in their sight. They won't care. They never care. It's always Yeji. Yeji who always needs care and attention, who should be in safer place always...just...just her...

I don't hate you, Yeddeong-ah. I just wish I was the girl or we're both girls.

Because mom and dad would always remind me to protect you because you're a girl.

To protect her. I wonder if a man can protect a woman even if he's breaking too. I wonder if mom and dad will somehow save me when I'm drowning or will they choose to prepare Yeji's meal because she's a girl.

"HEY! COME BACK!" the guard shouted who's a bit far from me.

My eyes widened because a hand grabbed my arm, "run!" she said with a little chuckle on her voice.

She eventually let go of my arms while running ahead of me that's why I tried catching up 'till we reach the gate, she quickly opened it and we freely ran out of our school.

We almost reach the zone where the guard stopped chasing us. Our hands dropped down our knees, catching our breath while laughing.

She has short hair, pinkish lips, cute nose and not so rounded eyes. She's shorter than me too which made her even cuter...

"Hey buddy, never thought I'd need to pull you..." she said, laughing while holding her stomach.

"Thank you. Never thought a girl like you would skip class." I awkwardly said. I've never been so awkward in front of a girl, just this one hits different.

"I hate classes." she mumbled.

"Me too—I hate school and home." I stated before looking at her who's staring at the sky.

Stupid Hyunjin, why is your heart thumping?

Because I'm alive?

"Family problems?" she suddenly asked. So stable despite of the wind swaying her hair. "The kids are depressed in this generation, I guess? Wish alternate universe exists where kids are happy." this girl stated.

How? Why is this girl talking to me casually?

"My parents are lovely. I guess I'm the problem." she looked at me so I smiled.

"You look gorgeous, fix yourself man."

"I don't think I can fix myself. I've always wanted love and attention but couldn't get it somehow." I stated.

She started walking so I followed her, "same, are you my boy version huh?" she sarcastically asked.

Maybe? Because Yeji's not my own kind of version. She's...different, my total opposite.