Chapter 47

Seulgi's POV

I stood in front of a silver gate. Nothing changed. The grasses just seemed more longer, like the lawn mower hasn't touch it for months. The bushes on the pathway seemed like it wasn't trim for long.

I always thought before that everything I did was still worthy...not until I found out everything. I don't regret being with Ryujin and taking care of her for a short period of time. She's out of all of this. I just hate how...how I gave up everything with my family just because of Irene's selfishness.

I tried pressing the doorbell but it's not ringing either. Did they move out?

"Excuse me?" I mumbled, talking to the grandmom who's across the street.

I walks toward her direction when she stopped, "Are you living nearby?" I asked.

"Yes, lady. I'm walking around to strengthen my knees." she said with a chuckle.

"Well—can I ask a question?"

"Oh sure, as long as I can help."

"Is that house abandoned for long? Is someone still staying there?" I asked while pointing our house.

"Oh that? The caretaker left it months ago." she answered so I nodded.

"How about the family that's staying there?" I confusedly asked.

"As far as I remember, Mr and Mrs Kang died long years ago because of car accident. Their children moved out to different country with their aunt and grandmother a few months after the death of their mother and father." she stated that froze me.

Died?

"If only their daughter didn't run away from home that incident wouldn't have happened. I don't know much about that certain daughter tho because that girl doesn't go out a lot. I can't even remember her face now, I'm such an oldie already." she says and laughs, "But that's the truth. They didn't bother looking for their runaway daughter for days since they thought she would come back. Then they found out that she withdrew all her money from her credit card so they blocked it, thinking that the girl would come back eventually. But then she didn't so they made a few flyers about their missing daughter, sticking those around this street but y'know that our community doesn't give too much care with the missing runaways. One day, someone gave a tip about their daughter, telling them that she's living out of civilization with a pregnant girl in her age so they went there but the climate wasn't too fine that time. We just heard from our neighbors too that their car crushed and they were both dead on arrival." she stated, slowly shaking her head while looking at our house with full of grief.

I'm really stupid...I made my own thoughts that they would forsake me if I did something stupid like that. I've forgotten that I was their child.

Back then...I remember my promised to myself.

"Someday, my parents would be proud of me and would recognize me as their best daughter."

Yet, I wasn't able to fulfill that. In the first place—I was their best daughter who was an academic achiever. I was their best daughter whom they taught to play piano as a kid. I was their best daughter and I was the one who set the boundary between us. Knowing that I'm not into guys back then, I thought I'll be the biggest embarrassment if they found out so I started locking myself in my room to save my relationship with them.