Chapter 21: Kuroken

Week Time Skip: Kuroo's POV
Ugh. Dammit. Life isn't going great.

"Kuroo?" Well, there was at least one thing that kept me going right now.

"Yes kitten?" I asked, turning my attention to Kenma who was previously taking a nap in my lap. He yawned, arching his back to stretch almost like a cat. I couldn't help but smile slightly as he rubbed his eyes.

"What're you doing." He asked, looking down at the notes and letters in my hand. Iwaizumi hasn't had great luck in putting and end to either Sakusa or Atsumu. He even mentioned that they may suspect something about him. And of course he wasn't going to risk himself like that for me. Kenma lazily skimmed the papers before looking up at me with a little bit of concern.

"You aren't going to go after them now, are you?"

"No, I promised I would stay here with you, and I don't break my promises." Kenma smiling slightly, nodding and nuzzling his face back into my chest. I ran my fingers through his soft hair, tapping the desk in front of me with the other. Just because I cannot and Iwaizumi has seemingly failed, that does not mean I'm letting Atsumu get off the hook. Who else was there... I knew a couple of skilled assassins, but, I'm not certain that they even do that type of 'business' anymore. 

Last I was aware, they settled down. And together, they massed a big enough fortune that they really would never need to get a job. Maybe I could see if they would be willing to do one more job.

"Kuroo.. would, would you come with me somewhere..?" Mm, I'll worry about contacting the couple later.

"Of course, where did you want to go?"

"I want to take Cinnamon to the store and get him new things." He said, making me smile faintly. I put the papers in my hand down onto the desk, picking Kenma up and kissing his cheek before setting him down.

"Alright, get changed and we'll go."

Mini Time Skip

I smiled slightly, staying close to Kenma while he looked around. Cinnamon in the small book bag on his back, that stupid cat poking his head out and sniffing everything presented to him and then turning his nose up. Picky feline. 

I carried the things that Kenma had chosen, following him around closely. Once he had everything that he, and Cinnamon, wanted, we proceeded to the counters. I sighed, watching the cashier ring up the items before telling me the total. I reached into my pocket, paying quietly.

"Alright Kenma are you- Kenma?" Where the heck did he go. He wouldn't leave my side, especially not now.

"Aw come on, I don't bite." I turned my head, seeing some creep had backed Kenma up to an aisle nearby away from me. Kenma held onto Cinnamon tightly, trying to tell the man to go away but it wasn't doing much good. My blood boiled at the sight, leaving the register and walking over. Grabbing the guy's shoulder and spinning him to face me.

"Hey what's your problem buddy."

"My problem is that you are bothering MY boyfriend."

"Heh, yeah right as if this cutie is your boyfriend." He said as I gripped his shirt collar, pulling him face-to-face with me. A scowl on my face, the guy looking a bit worried now.

"Do you want to test that theory? How about whoever gets fucking knocked out first gets him." I said, the man gulping and shaking his head.

"O-okay dude I get it he's your boyfriend..!" He said, scampering off when I let him go. Kenma stayed where he was, watching while his body shook. I quickly made my way over, cupping his cheeks and turning his head up to look only at me.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm right here. Are you hurt?"

"N-no.. I'm okay..." He mumbled, pulling his book bag back around and carefully setting Cinnamon inside. Zipping it up partially so Cinnamon's head could poke out. Once I was certain that Kenma was okay, I picked the bags back up and we headed home.

Kenma's POV

Kuroo told me that he'd be in his room working, so I went to mine to go through all the things that we just got for Cinnamon. After everything was out of the bags, I walked over to the window and opened it. Looking outside quietly.

"Hm?" I heard something outside, Cinnamon did too. We both looked at each other. I wonder what was out there, it sounded like an animal in distress.

"Stay here." I said, going downstairs and outside. Normally I'd be to scared to go further than like 20 feet from Kuroo, but if there was an animal hurt I wanted to help it as quickly as possible. I walked closer to where the noise and rustling was coming from. It sounded like it was stuck inside a bush. After some leaves fell onto me, I looked up to find it was actually stuck in a tree.

"Hey, how'd you get up there." I said to the tan cat holding onto the branch it was laying on for dear life. It was pretty high up. Cinnamon got stuck high up in a tree once. So I knew what to do. I tied my hair back so it wouldn't get in my way before reaching up to the first branch. Pulling myself up and progressively making my way up to the cat.

"Come here, it's okay." I said once I was within arms reach. The cat looked at me for a bit before inching it's way closer. I grabbed it with one arm, before carefully descending back to the ground. Poor thing looked starved. I carried the cat inside, taking it to my room and pouring it some food when Cinnamon meowed at me.

"You can share." I said, making sure he didn't try to fight with, was this cat even a girl or boy. Picking the tan cat up, I checked it before setting it back down to continue eating.

"Kenma, I have to- what is that." Kuroo said, walking into my room to see the second cat.

"I found her outside stuck in a tree."

"And you went out and rescued it, and brought it back in here.."

"Can I keep her?" I asked, Kuroo sighing. He looked at the cat before looking at me, biting his lip.

"Agh, fine you can keep her." He said. I smiled faintly, knowing that Kuroo wasn't the biggest fan of cats. I walked over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him down enough to give him a kiss. 

"Thank you, Kuroo."

"Anything for you kitten. Now, as I was saying. I have to go meet a couple."

"For what?"

"They're both skilled assassins."

"Oh, to get Atsumu and Sakusa?"

"Yes. They are both also 'retired' of that work. So I'm meeting with them to see if they will agree to take on the task for me." Kuroo explained. I nodded, still holding onto him with a tiny sigh. He really would go through any length for me, wouldn't he.