Chapter thirty seven (Hunter)

Camille cooked dinner which was surprisingly not bad. We fell back into our old friendship easily and Ava got along with Camille better than expected. Tonight. I was going. I was running out of fucking time. After Ava showered I grabbed the car keys. I don't say anything as we walk out of the apartment building.

I was going to make sure Ava would be okay. And she wouldn't forget me. She held my hand as I drove to the small beach which was mostly deserted. It was nearly September after all. I parked and she climbed over the consul to my lap. I held her and she laid her head against my neck. Fuck. The love I felt for her was unbelievable.

"I love you." I whisper. I could feel the tears on her face slowly slide down my neck. "I love you so much." She cries and I hold her tight. I kiss her hair and she sobs into me. "Don't leave me please." I didn't respond. I couldn't. I feel my eyes twinge slightly. I was crying like a fucking pussy. But I didn't care.

This girl. Ava Mazzie. Kills me. She wasn't wearing a hat. No sunglasses. She was completely exposed to the public. And for once I didn't care. I hold her and look at the stars. Ava didn't move her head from the crook of my neck. She cries harder. And harder. I hold her tighter. And tighter. Your a fucking coward, I thought to myself. I don't force her back to her seat as I drive back to the apartment.

I carry her in, hold her in the elevator, and carry her in the apartment. Camille was still out. I set her down and kiss her. She kissed back and I savor it. I savor her. This could be the last time. I carry her to the bed and she curls onto my chest. She was still crying and I fucking hated myself.

I cry quietly with her and sobs rock her body. I don't know when she fell asleep. I move out from under her and I grab my bag I had already packed. I kiss her forehead. Her lips. Her face. I then wrote a note and took the chain off my neck. "Give it to the person you love the most." Marco's words ran through my head. I set the chain with the note.

I kiss her again and cover her with a blanket. I place the note and the chain next to her pillow. I don't look back as I walk out. I couldn't. I had to return to her. I walked out on the street and walked pass the car and started running. I knew where I needed to go.  Here take this, dont cry, give it to the person you love the most."