Chapter two (Ava)

I winced as I shifted in the Jeep. Hunter glanced at me and frowned. "Sorry." He sheepishly apologized. I laugh. "For what?" I ask. He looks at me like I'm nuts and says, "For making you.....sore." I burst out laughing at his nervousness and giggle snort, "I asked you to do that." He suppresses a smile and then instantly frowns again. "You sure your okay though?" I grab his hand. "Yes." I assure him. I look out the window and watch as the green fields roll by.

It was almost peaceful, if you didn't have to wonder if you would be alive in the next thirty seconds. I had committed myself to Hunter as soon as I walked into his front door. "Do you think we're gonna be on the run for the rest of our lives?" I ask him. He looks away from the road for a moment to look at me. "I will kill my father before that happens." He tells me through gritted teeth. I go back to looking out the window.

We must have drove for an hour before Hunter groans, "Fuck." I sit up in my seat. "What is it?" I ask.
"A tail. I need to take him out do you mind driving?"
I stare at him for a minute trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to do this. "I'll keep my foot steady on the gas, you steer." He tells me noticing my hesitation. I nod reluctantly and Hunter pops up in the sunroof with his gun. True to his word, he kept steady on the gas. There was a long expanse of road with no cars so right now we didn't have to worry about breaks. One shot. Two shots. I had no idea who was winning or loosing.

Five more shots rang out. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. I jumped each time but tried to hold steady on the wheel. Tires screeched and I screamed until  Hunter plopped back in and I sat back in my seat scared to death. He slammed down on the gas and I jolted backwards. "Did you have to practice that too?" I wondered allowed. "No I just tried that one." Hunter admits.

I gape at him and then hit him on the arm. "Goddammit you could have gotten us killed." And then I realize that's what being on the run is all about and burst out laughing. "We need a different car." Hunter says. "Where we would go?" Hunter points to another dirt road. "There." He says. We pull into a small farm and a man was standing there with his shot gun.

"Christ." I groan. Hunter chuckles and steps out the Jeep and I follow in suit. "Hello sir." Hunter says politely. The man nods and says, "What ya'll want?" He has a accent I couldn't really place Hungarian I think. "I need a place to put some trash and a new vehicle." The man looked surprised and he gestured towards the Jeep. "What's wrong with this one?" I spoke up. "Nothings wrong with it sir we just need a new one."
"I'll give you three hundred for your troubles sir." Hunter bribed him and the man gave in instantly. "if you ani't in trouble with the law, you can take that one."

The man points to a normal looking Ford Fusion. "It was my ex girlfriends but she never came back to pick it up." He shrugs and Hunter hands him a stack of bills. The man pockets it and says, "Keys are in the ignition, there is a dumpster right there." He points and I smile my thanks. "Thank you sir." Hunter says. The man shrugs and Hunter moves the trash from our stay at the cabin, while I move the bags.

"Do many people come here?" I ask curiously. The man shook his head. "Not since my dear wife, Madeline." I look at him and he laughs gruffly. "She passed away from cancer a few years ago." I blush and apologize. "I'm so sorry." He waves it away and simply says, "It's okay. I think you should get going if you are on the run." The man suggests.

Hunter came beside me and shook the man's hand. "Do you have any suggestions on what to do with the Jeep?" The man asked. "Most likely blow it up." Hunter points out. The man smiled and waved as he walked away.