Chapter twenty two (Ava)

"Sorry that we crashed. I'm hope your mom won't know we were here." I stood at the steps leading up to Zach's house. He looked at me with a small smile. "She won't believe me. She hardly pays attention to me." I smile slightly at that and watch as Hunter puts the last of our bags in the car.

"Don't worry about him. He'll be alright." Zach assures me. "I can't help but worry. I'm afraid I'm gonna wake up one morning and he's gonna he gone." Zach frowns and pats my arm. "Sorry chica but looks like I won't be seeing you for a while." He kisses my cheek which Hunter frowns at and I head to the car.

I bite back tears knowing I might never see him again and watch. Zach said something to Hunter which makes him frown then laugh. Hunter finally heads to the car his beautiful face pinched into a frown. Zach heads inside the house and Hunter gets in the car and starts driving.

He holds my hand and doesn't let go until we pull up to a gas station. "Is it okay if I go in by myself?" Hunter looks surprised at my question but nods. "I was thinking about heading to Nevada. There's a small motel right across the state lines. It would be a good place for us to stay."

"That's actually perfect I'll stock up on snacks and drinks." I loved the idea and being out of state sounds wonderful. He kisses me gently and we get out of the car. I pull the baseball cap over my eyes and Hunter slides on a pair of sunglasses. The gas station was small and there must not have been a lot of traffic because I was the only one in there besides the cashier.

I give him a smile without showing my teeth. I was surprised when he started taking. "What's a pretty girl like you doin out here?" He had a southern accent and must have been about thirty years of age. "I'm moving to Nevada with my boyfriend." I comment while picking up at least three bags of chips. "You a state hopper?"

I didn't know what that meant so I shook my head and took my arm full of things to the counter. He begins checking out my food and drinks and I focus on the tv above his head. Rose was on the screen and her smile didn't meet her eyes. Something was wrong.

"Can you turn that up please?" I point at the tv and he does so. "Tell me Rose, what inspired you to create such magnificent shoes." Shoes? Rose was in the shoe business now? I don't hear her response all I knew is that something was wrong. I pay and barley say goodbye to the man as I stumble out into the hot sun. Hunter was standing by the car staring at the store.

A look of relief passed his face as I wondered out. We get in the car and I hand him a bad if chips and a water and keep one for myself. "I saw Rose on tv. I think she knows I'm missing." Hunter doesn't respond as we pull out he just reaches for my hand and I hold on for dear life.
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Hours later we pull up to a small motel that looked like something out of a horror movie. I look at Hunter and he laughs at my reaction. "I'm super good friends with the owner. Hardly anyone comes here." I bite my lip and examine the dusty terrain and carless lot. "Welcome to Nevada babe."

I get out and grab our bags. Hunter reaches into the center console of the car and snags the gun. "Do we need that?" I asked pointedly. He nods grimly. "My father found me at this place when I ran away. I don't think he'll look for us here but there's always a risk."

I don't respond as we walk in. There was a risk of going anywhere with him finding us.