Chapter eleven (Hunter)

Breakfast the next morning was an awkward affair. Ava sat stiffly at her spot and Amira kept giving me suggestive glances while I ignored her. The boys Adrain and Ben were oblivious to everything as they threw eggs at each other. Mr. Keith was at work and Mrs.Keith was heading to her job after she dropped the boys at day care.

Amira was being picked up by her Aunt as soon as Mrs.Keith left. "Ava I would love for you to come with me to studio. Do you dance?" Ava looked surprised and she took a sip of orange juice before responding. "I mean I... dance." Ava ment club dancing and Mrs.Keith didn't miss a beat. "I know you mean dancing as in a club, why everybody think I stupid? There was a movie called dirty dancing, and I loved it!"

Ava smiles and the boys run downstairs pushing each other. "But I mean do you know how to really dance? Like the salsa or cha cha?" Ava shook her head and her hair fell over her shoulders. "I don't think it's safe enough." Mrs.Keith looks at me and I reassure Ava. "You can go just make sure you don't bring her around people."

Mrs.Keith smiles and Ava heads upstairs to get shoes. As soon as she leaves her smile fades. She cleans up while watching me. Fuck this shit was excruciating. "Go ahead say it." Mrs.Keith pounces on the opportunity I gave her. "I can't believe you did what you did."
"Do you think I had a choice."
"You men, so dumb. All you had to do was go up and talk. No kiss, just talk. But no you be dumb."

I sigh and rub my temples together. "How long with you let him control you?" I look at her and she raises an eye brow. "Who?" Mrs.Keith waves her had around in the air. "Your father. Why do you let him?" I shrug. "I'm gonna kill him." I tell her. She doesn't look surprised. "He took Ava last month and tortured her. I should have fucking killed him."

The words haunt me over and over again. I should have killed him. Then Ava and I could be in peace. Mrs.Keith puts the last plate away and turns towards me. "Keep her safe. I never seen anything like the two of you."
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Ava and Mrs.Keith leave and the house is completely empty. I go downstairs to the computer that everyone shared and hacked in so my account wasn't visible to anyone.

I check my email and was surprised to see one from Camille. Huh. It said,
Dear Hunter,
I'm heading to England cause I got a hit on my father. Like you, I want to kill mine. I'll be MIA for the next month.
That was all it said. And it arrived three weeks ago. I didn't even respond. Having enough with the internet I head to the tv.

Ava and I have been out of the loop so long a war could have broken out and we wouldn't know it. I thumb through channels and stop at one when I see Ava's mother's face. "Yes Paris is quite lovely this time of year."
"Did Ava come with you?" The snoopy reporter asked. "Oh goodness no, she is on vacation with a friend for a few months. She needed a break." I turn off the tv having heard enough.

Ava has been out of the public eye for too long. Getting her back in it was a massive risk, one that I was not willing to take. An old feeling came back, one before I knew Ava. Loathing rich people. I wince remembering how I so badly judged Ava first. And after all the reporters were just doing their job.