Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

Brooklyn's POV:

I slapped my hand over my eyes as the sun burned into my room. I was still tired from the heat and I did not want to get up.

"Mommy." Ella sang, I looked over as she skipped into the room with Ryder behind her. Ryder carried a tray of food for me.

"Hi gorgeous." I smiled as she hopped onto the bed. I ran my fingers lightly through her white hair and she smiled.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked. I smiled.

"Yes I am. Thank you sweetheart." Ryder laid down my tray and I began eating as he laid down next to me. He pulled out his phone that vibrated loudly.

"You need a hair cut." I said taking Ella's long hair into my hands. It was down to her bum, she needed a trim. As I graced my fingers through her hair I felt a bump on her back. I slowed my chewing and laid down my sandwich.

"What is that?" I murmured. I pushed aside her hair and lifted her shirt and gasped. A long scratch rested on her back and was oozing black goo. It was a sticky kind of substance. It was severely swollen.

"Oh my God..." Ryder said concerned. As Ryder touched it Ella lurched forward and vomited black liquid.

"Ella!" I yelled. Ryder immediately grabbed her as I shoved on pants and ran after him. She turned paler by the minute. He went into the infirmary and the doctor was over on a flash as he laid her down.

"Erica give her some morphine." He said to his assistant. He rolled her onto her back and lifted her shirt.

"What is that?" I asked.

"You haven't seen any blood on her shirt?" He asked. I looked at Ryder and he shook his head 'no'.

"No we haven't." I said nervously.

"What is it?" Ryder demanded.

"It is an allergic reaction. Snow elves have a severe allergy to silver, much more worse than werewolves or vampires. Silver to them is like wolfsbane to us. Someone cut her." He said pulling out a scalpel and tweezers.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"There are some pieces inside once I get them out and put some simple allergy medicine into her she should be fine. She may be asleep for a while." He said. As he grabbed the scalpel and made contact with her skin, smoke flew up and her body began to ooze the black goo. I looked away and bit my tongue.

"Ah here we are..."He said. I looked back as he pulled out and end of a blade.

"It was bad because it just graced her kidney's. She is a strong little girl, I'm surprised she didn't say anything." He said shocked. He grabbed a needle and began taking out the black goo and placing it in a sample bottle.

"How could something like this happen?" I asked.

"It's all about history. Snowelves aren't as skilled at archery as regular elves so their gods granted them different powers. Affinities they call them. Some have an affinity for fire, or water or nature or electricity or spirit. Spirit is extremely rare but she could have an affinity for it."

"What does that mean? A spirit affinity?" I asked.

"She can heal quickly, she can heal others and she can force her body to not experience pain but..."He said trailing off and grimacing.

"But what?" Ryder asked.

"It also gives her a connection to the undead. Spirits. This can be dangerous. She can meet some powerful spirits that can influence her."

"A demon." I said. As he began stitching her wound.

"Exactly. Demons take our biggest dreams and promise a reality. If she is not strong willed she could agree to it."

"How do we make sure she doesn't agree to any demonic offering?" I asked.

"It is like teaching a child not to talk to strangers. Tell her that they can take her away, tell her that you can giver her everything she needs...although that might not work..."He said grimacing again.

"Why?" Ryder asked.

"She is a young girl who lost her parents. A demon could offer her them back in exchange for her soul or something.

"But, she calls me mom." I said. He looked up and smiled.

"Then you shouldn't have a problem at all if she already sees you as her parents." He said approvingly.