Part 2 - Chapter Twenty

As we returned to the house, I could see a lady waiting outside, rugged up in layers and layers of clothing as she waved to us. Her bright red hair stood out against the bright background of snow and her white jacket.

"That is Gideon's mate," Hapeon said as we got closer. "You haven't met the pack yet have you? Do you want me to organise a pack meeting so you can get to know them?"

Oh that would be goo— wait. I narrowed my eyes looking at Hapeon recognizing his intentions, to get me to know the pack.

"I think I'm fine." I replied as we got closer to the lady.

"There you are! Do you know how long I've been waiting?" Her smile was gentle as her fake anger was focused at Marcus, then she looked at me, her smile widening.

She looked like a perfectly delicate statue and her mate was anything but delicate, more like a monster that could snap you in half.

"Who's this?" she asked pretending not to know me, if Hapeon knew then there was no way that Gideon's mate didn't.

"Enforcers," Marcus muttered, grabbing the spatula she was holding, sniffing it. "Aw man, I hate fish!"

"Well you're not even going to get bread if you don't go have a shower, you lot are a bunch of animals." She shook her head trying to push Marcus inside the house. Marcus was a small man but next to her he looked like an ogre.

"We are animals Cube," Marcus rolled his eyes.

"Cube," I asked, was that her name?

"Cynthia Ursula Brielle-Emersyn, they call me Cube for short," she nodded.

I blinked, stunned, and I thought my name was annoying.

"Right, Cube it is," I said as I stuck my hand out to shake hers. "Ilargia, or Hill."

"Nice to meet you Hill," she said and I pulled my hand back, this handshake was going on for too long.

Her head turned slightly, but her eyes were still on me and I looked at Hapeon as he stared at her, "Whatever he just mindlinked you, he's lying," I said, I recognised the look in their eyes, focused yet distant. Dazed.

Her smile brightened, "Sure thing."

She turned around her green scarf flapping in the light breeze, "If you all get ready and warmed up, lunch will be served in half an hour."

* * *

This had to be one of those exceptions where I actually joined everyone else when they ate. I didn't want to but now that I had met Cube she made it her mission to find me when the food was ready and dragged me downstairs.

Marcus looked up as I entered, smiling brights patting the spot on the table next to him and I took the seat.

"I hate fish." he said as he signed, passing me a plate.

Cube ran up and down the table passing down dishes and making sure everyone had enough food. Hapeon and Gideon sat on the other end with a few other people that I didn't recognise laughing about something about their morning run.

Cameron sat in the middle mingling away with some other pack members, I remembered Argus who we ran into earlier, and then it was me and Marcus on this further end with an empty seat that was Cube's.

"Is Hercules coming?" Cameron asked looking around the table, wondering out loud what I was thinking.

Cube placed a piece of bread on my plate before taking her seat, "He doesn't eat with us." she said.