Part I - Chapter One

This story is split into 3 parts, Part 1: The Present, Part 2: The Flashback, Part 3: returning to the Present. There is a reason I did this, and hopefully you'll like it. 

There were things I did in my life that I was not proud of.

There were things I did in my life that made me wonder why I was still alive.

I was waiting for all the bad karma to catch up to me. One of these days I would have bitten off more than I could chew. Right now though, sitting in a pile of lukewarm blood, I realised that I had cheated death again.

That's how he found me. Sitting in a pile of blood that was not mine.

"Ilargia."

I looked up, meeting a pair of bright green eyes that stared down at me, the sun was setting fast behind him, making his light brown hair almost look yellow.

"Cameron." I acknowledged him as he looked around at the dead bodies that surrounded us. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came to find me. I was meant to be back at the pack house an hour ago.

"What are you doing sitting here?" Cameron asked.

"I'm... reflecting" I said, it might have been an unusual place to sit but it was just so tranquil and quiet here it made a lot of thoughts go through my head. Another factor was that I didn't want to go back to the house.

The house was full of other people like me, and I really wasn't a big mingler. I would rather be alone here than around people. I winced, well, I was technically around dead people but they weren't asking me how my day was or what my next mission was.

No, they just lay there.

"That's a first for you," Cameron crouched to be eye level with me. Dressed in a thick cream coloured jumper, he looked really warm. I took his extended hand as he lifted me to my feet and I was almost worried about getting red blood on his cream jumper.

"Let's head back. Lily put aside some of that vegetable minestrone soup you liked."

I did like a good pot of soup, especially by Lily, a very talented cook. She could make a piece of stale bread taste good, but then again bread was amazing.

Cameron wrapped his left arm around my shoulder, he didn't seem bothered over the debris over me, nor did he seem to care that his light coloured jumper was getting stains.

"So, how many rebellious rogues did you kill today?"

I shrugged, probably a few, just adding onto the bad karma. I was given names and locations and that was all I needed to get my job done.

The sun was setting fast behind the trees as we headed towards what little light was left, the moon was shining brightly behind us. It was one of those days that you could just make out both the sun and moon, sending beautiful rays of colours across the night sky.

We headed towards where the tree got thicker, bigger and had more leaf coverage. It was just what we needed, something to hide where we stayed. It was like a perfect shield from everyone around us.

"When did you come back?" I asked Cameron. When I was handed my mission earlier today, he wasn't at the pack house. Cameron was sent up north for a different mission nearly a week ago. When we were younger we went on every mission together, we were inseparable. Now we were too good at our jobs to be with each other.

We both had our own specialities. Cameron was an excellent tracker, he didn't even need a scent to find someone. He just knew where everyone always was. Me... well. I was an expert at getting people to stop breathing.