Part 3 - Chapter Twenty Eight

Hercules entered my room and I looked up wondering what he wanted, or perhaps he also couldn't sleep.

"Is everything ok? Do you need something else?" I asked. Was his room warm enough? My dad had set up the guest room for him since Cameron didn't want to sleep in the 'creepy corner' room. Maybe Hercules was also finding it too creepy.

I saw that Hercules was holding something as he approached me, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Noel, is your nephew?" He asked. He was holding a frame, a picture of me and a young, handsome looking boy staring at the camera while I was too busy trying to get out of his hold. My brother Adam, just looking at that picture brought back painful memories.

"Yes." I said as Hercules looked at the picture and then back at me, "Noel looks so much like you."

"I know, he looks more like me than my brother." I said. "Did you think he was my kid or something?" I asked.

Hercules shook his head, "No, he didn't smell like you but I knew he was family. I just didn't know how." he placed the frame on the chair looking at me, "What happened to him?"

"To my brother?" I asked.

When Hercules nodded I shrugged, running my hand up my arm, feeling a sudden chill, "I don't like talking about him."

"I know that...but I want to know. I've never seen your wolf Gia, you keep her guarded all the time, you never let her out. I didn't even know you had a sibling till I saw this picture and I had to put it all together."

I sighed, "There's nothing good that comes out of that story that's why."

"What do you mean?" He asked, his grey eyes looking at me confused, but then they widened.

"No." he said, "You didn't." There was disbelief in his eyes as he stared at me, almost like he couldn't believe it.

"It was an accident. My parents didn't think I was a wolf, my brother shifted when he was fifteen, found a mate when he was twenty. When I was twenty nothing changed so they thought I was like my dad. I didn't care, you know, I thought it was always weird anyway" I didn't want to look at Hercules, because I couldn't bear to look at his face.

"My brother wanted to live like us, as a lone wolf in peace. Then he found his mate, her name was Nikita and she used to work in town. We all got along, everything was perfect. The only thing that no one thought was that I would shift three years too late, I was twenty one when I first shifted. My mother should have known because that's when my grandmother shifted but it just slipped her mind."

Hercules was quiet, still like he was frozen as he was listening.

"My brother was there when it happened. I don't think anyone is ever meant to shift like that with no warning but for some reason my wolf did." I said, swallowing, my throat feeling too tight as I spoke.

I could remember that day like it was yesterday, that was one memory I could never forget.

"It just happened so fast and my wolf was so disconnected and he was just there, right next to me and before I knew it I was watching the life drain out of his eyes. I wasn't sure what was worse, knowing that I had accidentally killed him, or that no one was baming me. Not my parents, not his wife, not a single word was said. They all pretended like he died in a car crash and I had nothing to do with it."

I looked up to see Hercules was looking at me, he had a torn look on his face.

"But of course, Nikita had to die when she gave birth to Noel. There was only a fifty one percent chance that humans could give birth to a werewolf baby, and she lost that battle. But the cruel thing was that she made me promise her, on her deathbed, that I would take care of Noel. She knew that I killed her mate, but still wanted me to take care of Noel."

Hercules had moved closer, and I didn't realise he was holding my hand in his, "It was an accident. That's why no one blames you."

"My wolf should have known that he was family, that he was my brother. I just wish he had shifted that day and perhaps he would have had a chance to survive. Do you know what I feel?" I asked Hercules, "I can still feel his blood in my teeth. Ever since then I never let her out unless I really need her, because who knows who she's going to kill next, when she's going to lose control."

"She won't. We can train her."

"We tried. A few months later we went to the agency, they tried all sorts of things and nothing worked. They tested me, tried to get my wolf out, nothing ever worked. They injected silver into me one day, in small doses, thinking that they could get her to heal me but it never worked. I was put in a room full of rogues and they thought maybe she would help me, but she didn't. That's when they realised I could be an Enforcer, when I single handedly killed all the rogues to protect myself. The rest is history." I shrugged.

"That's not helping you, that's torturing you."

"It was the only thing we knew, besides I didn't want her to come out. I don't trust her. What if Noel one day asks me where his parents are? What are you going to say to that?"

"Why's he going to ask that when he's got you and me?" Hercules said shrugging, "He doesn't need anyone else."

"You and me?" I asked, wasn't he disgusted with me, a person who would kill her own family.

"Of course, we'll get through this."

If you're enjoying this story please remember to take a moment to vote, comment and follow :)

Instagram: Imsooverpolice
Facebook: N.K.Pockett
Twitter: N.K.Pockett
Website: www.nkpockett.com