Part 3 - Chapter Thirty-Four

Is he meant to open his eyes?

How does this work?

"Hercules," I whispered, trying to shake his body, he needed to wake up before all the water came through. I could see my bite marks against his neck, pooled underneath more blood and I almost wondered if I did it wrong.

I crouched, trying to lift him but he was far too heavy for myself.

"Hercules you need to wake up." I said pushing against his stomach. I could feel a faint heartbeat, so I knew he wasn't dead. How long did it take for the silver to kick in.

I grabbed his arm, placing it over my shoulder and standing up, using the side of the cave as support. I got him half off the ground before his body slipped, banging against the cave wall and I winced.

Hopefully nothing broke.

As the water rose, I got more and more impatient, trying to use my entire weight to carry him. When that didn't work I was stuck for ideas. I couldn't let him drown, but he was also unconscious. Then I had an idea.

I pulled Hercules's legs so he was in the water, using it to move him towards the cave. The water was deep enough that sometimes his head went under, but I managed to change positions so I could keep him afloat.

His body was too heavy to float without his help, so I placed one knee under his shoulder, half carrying him and half dragging him.

The water was gradually rising slowly so I had that on my side, using it to pull him out. I never expected him to be that heavy. When I got to the entrance of the cave it was harder, as the waves forcefully pushed against me, making me nearly lose my balance against his slippery skin.

I paused as the wave went out, quickly reaching and wrapping my arms under his armpits so I had a better hold, bracing myself for the next wave.

The icy cold water slapped against the lower half of my body making me slip, but I had no time to waste. When the wave stopped I quickly started pulling him again, pausing again for another wave to pass.

In a few more minutes and careful timing, I managed to pull him out of the cave and onto the wet sand.

Pulling Hercules on the sand was much harder, but I couldn't stop because the waves would only get higher and higher with the tide.

I managed to pull him up to where the sand was completely dry and dropped him, collapsing next to him.

I caught my breath staring at the darkened sky and closed my eyes briefly, all the emotions and energy exhausting my body.

There was no way I could bring him up to the car by myself, so I sat there, waiting for more energy before I could at least go and get my parents.

After a few moments I sat up, looking at Hercules, "You better be alive." I muttered, placing my hand against his warm chest. I could still feel the faint heartbeat, I needed wolfsbane immediately to counteract the silver, I wasn't sure how the mark was meant to help, perhaps it would slow down the process.

"Do you want some help?"

I jumped out of my bone as I looked up, not expecting or sensing anyone else, so I was beyond surprised when I saw Caine standing there at the top of the bank, looking down at me.

"How are you here?" I asked, surprised.

"Well Hercules told me you guys were coming here after the picture, and he sent me a message this morning so I got here as fast as I could and your mother, told me where you were," Caine came down the side of the sand dunes much easier than us, walking towards us.