Part 2 - Chapter Nineteen

Why did he storm out?

I sighed looking around the office he left me in, it was eerie standing alone in his office felt weird.

I didn't want to live the rest of my life, knowing that the only reason the person keeping my bed warm was there because of some stupid attraction that was there thanks to our wolves. Not our humans.

We weren't completely werewolves, and that was for a reason. Our human had to control the wolf, it was a human body, we hosted them most of the time and that's who should rule it. Not some animal.

Sometimes I thought that perhaps the humans had it easy, they could find love because people liked them for who they are. For us, it wasn't like that. There were heaps of instances where mates rejected each other and lived separately, so it can't be destiny if there wasn't a 100% success rate to begin with.

Or leaving the material aspects aside, what about personality? You were manipulated to think that you love your mate, but what if without the pull you would originally hate a guy like him? But because of the pull, you were under an illusion.

I wasn't going to be under that illusion, I forbid myself to be under such a thing like that. My eyes roamed around the room, taking in its size. It wasn't like other offices, for a start, this room had more books than it actually needed.

The walls, it reminded me of a library, packed with books and even a moving ladder in the far distance. There was a black couch, big enough for someone to sleep on, with a coffee table with drinks on it.

Did he live in this room?

My eyes roamed over to the desk in front of me, pure oak, sturdy with bare essentials, it was interesting how a world map was etched onto the surface. There was another table connecting to it, in an L shape but it had a computer monitor on it that had a window that looked out onto the white snow blanketed outside.

Curiosity got the best of me and I got up walking around, I felt sneaky, and out of place as I walked around. I moved his leather chair taking a seat, feeling awfully short in it. It was the reflections on the ceiling that made me come over here, what was reflecting on it?

Not one, not two, but a collection of paperweights, that made me freeze.

Did he collect paperweights too?

I jumped as the door opened, and I nearly dropped the paperweight I was looking at.

"I'm not spying." I said as Marcus gave me an odd look, I was standing so close to a bunch of files on the desk that perhaps he did think I was spying.

Instead Marcus just shrugged, "I know, Hercules told me you were here and to see if you needed anything," as he walked over and jumped onto a chair opposite the desk.

I went back to looking at the cold and heavy object in my palm, I held it up letting the natural light reflect off it.

I thought I was the only one who obsessed over these but Hercules seemed to have the true meaning of obsession. He had at least four times the collection of me and my paperweights.

"Pretty stupid aren't they?" Marcus said.

I looked over to see Marcus sitting with his butt in the middle, legs hanging over one armrest and his elbows behind him so he could lean against them.

I turned the paper-weight, mesmerised by the colours inside. "Where does he get these from?" I asked. I placed it back down, looking at the range of he had and froze looking at one in particular. It was in the middle. It wasn't like the rest of them.