Part I - Chapter Four

I still couldn't figure out why George had sent me here with urgency. Everyone was getting along, as far as I could tell there was no talk about being allies yet. Perhaps the Alpha's didn't talk about that because I was always hovering around.

Or maybe this was just a genuine gathering and we could just be as social as humans. Then again I was also just meant to watch over them, so that's what I did as I watched them have a picnic of all things.

Damien's territory shared some land with the neighbouring National Park. It meant that parts of it were stunning, like this massive lake that was stretched along one side that ran into a waterfall a few kilometres down the road. Maybe if I had some free time I could follow the lake and see the waterfall, I wonder how big it was.

People were chatting, kids kicking a football with each other. It all seemed really normal, almost orchestrated. I hadn't been around packs for a few years so maybe there was development and all packs acted more like humans than wolves.

However, humans wouldn't have wolves patrolling the area as a 'just in case'. From where I was standing, I could see four grey wolves just running around the border, most of the time they were behind the trees but every now and then, some would come out and pause for a few moments.

I could smell the sausages grilling on the barbecue and made my way over to them, it was Smith in charge and I couldn't help but laugh at the way he was making sure each sausage was grilled to perfection.

"You won't be laughing if you get a raw sausage," he said as I grabbed a slice of bread.

"I'll take my chances seeing as they're pretty much burnt," I said grabbing a sausage from the pile earning a glare from him.

"They are not burnt Hill, they are grilled and smoked." He pointed out as he added some cooked onions onto it.

I smothered it in mustard and tomato sauce and added a light amount of shredded cheese on top. My stomach grumbled in anticipation, now this was more my style of food. Not the sit down four course meal last night of fancy dishes that barely filled anyone up. Not to mention that I wasn't part of that sit down four course meal as I opted to eat back in my room after everything was packed up.

I bit into it sighing and nodding my appreciation of a good sausage and bread, the most Australian thing you could do at a BBQ.

"Good?" Smith asked me as he placed the cooked ones onto the tray and placed more raw ones onto the grill.

I nodded, "Better." I took my spot next to Smith as others came to get their ones.

I reached for another one, I was getting full but I just couldn't help it. They were so delicious.

"Save some for the rest," someone joked and I looked up surprised when I realised it was Damien joking with me.

"You snooze you lose," I shrugged, even though this was just my second one and clearly there were plenty that still needed to be cooked.

I reached for the mustard sauce and Damien wrinkled his nose at me.

"You're putting mustard sauce on?" he asked me.

"Why not?"

"It's not very Aussie." He said.

"Have you tried it?" I asked him. Damien shook his head. After putting some mustard sauce on mine, well more than some, I leaned over offering to put some on his.

"Don't knock it till you try it, it's really good," I said. Damien grabbed my wrist, pushing it away from his hot dog.

"Tomato sauce all the way, don't taint it."