Part 2 - Chapter Twenty-Two

I followed Hercules into another house on their territory. The moment I stepped inside I knew that it was some form of clinic, or where their pack doctor stayed. Everything was clean, white, and minimalistic.

"When did they find the body?" I asked as I followed him down a set of stairs. The ground level was just as cold as outside, I could see through glass doors at a man hovering over a body on a medical examination table.

"This morning," Hercules.

"Hercules," the man bowed his head down in respect and looked at me, before pausing and nodded at me holding back whatever he was going to say.

"This is Oscar." Hercules introduced us, "Go ahead Oscar."

"I did a quick examination of the body, it would have died at least a week ago, there are few identifying features of him left. As you can see there are claw marks that have penetrated the body. The body was left in the case so this could be wild animal marks as a huge chunk of his leg is missing, otherwise it could be a bite of a very large wolf."

It was definitely the body of an Enforcer like I predicted, as he still had his uniform on but I couldn't recognise his face.

"There were traces of some sort of chemical in his body, there isn't enough left in his blood to test what it is but from what I could see, it was definitely something that would have paralysed him so he might have been alive when the animal attacked him." Oscar said.

"Can I touch?" I asked looking up at Oscar. He nodded and I stepped closer to the bench. I had to admit the smell was horrible, it was a mix of dead body and the smell of maggots.

I touched his damp red jacket, opening it to show me his pocket that was on the inside of the blazer. I placed a hand in grimacing as I felt something soft.

Yuck

There was nothing there. I checked the other side of the blazer in the two hidden pockets also coming with nothing.

"Are you looking for anything in particular?" Oscar asked.

"No, just seeing if there is anything. Did you find anything in his pockets when you looked at him?"

"No," he said as I went through the pockets on his pants. Surely he had to have something on him. What i did notice was that this Enforcer did not have a single silver weapon on him, meaning that someone had to have attacked him and taken them all.

I was about to give up when I thought of something, "Did you check his socks?" I asked Oscar.

"Socks...? No, I didn't look there."

I rolled up his pants, trying not to look at the pale skin that was deteriorating. He had the typical Enforcer supplied socks which would mean that they had small holes in them to hold things. I always had spare bullets tucked into mine.

I started going through each one when I finally felt something. I tugged out a small white slip. It was no bigger than my fingernail, tightly folded.

I started unraveling the paper till it because a small thin slip, with a single name on it.

Catherin

"What does it say?" Hercules asked from next to me. I passed him the piece of paper and went back to checking the other side of the paper.

"Do you know anyone called that?" I asked, getting no response. I checked the other sock as well as the belt around the Enforcer's waist finding nothing else. Great a dead end.

I turned around looking at Hercules, who was still staring at the piece of paper, his eyebrows furrowed when he looked up at me, "Catherin." he said.