To be a friend

The following week went by in a blur, and gave Y/n a bit of time to crack on with her assignments while simultaneously balancing her job

The following week went by in a blur, and gave Y/n a bit of time to crack on with her assignments while simultaneously balancing her job. Now that her siblings were being taken care of by the lovely lady next door, she came to appreciate the silence of her lab, only ever filled with music from her playlist, keyboard clicking,  or the sounds of her putting something together.

It also gave her a lot of time to mull over her newfound acquaintance with Hiro, and the impact that their 'heart to heart', if you could call it that, had caused on their dynamic. She found herself able to control her temper a lot easier around him, and didn't snap as much. Some glances were shared, and the occasional smile or wave, but nothing much unless she was dragged to sit with his group during lunch hour. Honey Lemon was notorious for snatching her out her lab during that hour and a half every day.

Speaking of the group, they were all pleasantly surprised to see how well she and Hiro had been getting along during the week, with Wasabi going as far as bursting into tears out of relief. He was convinced the enmity between the adolescents would never cease.

Today she was walking down to the cafeteria on her own, to try and prevent herself from being embarassed by Honey Lemon dragging her by the wrist. She didn't have the option to stay in her lab, and it annoyed her slightly. As much as she wanted to reject the feeling and keep the group at arms length, they all seemed to be infuriatingly good and dragging her into their discussions and keeping her rooted to the seat. Though, if she had grown accustomed to them all in such a short period of time, then surely they couldn't have been too bad. Perhaps Y/n had just grown used to their presence.

Speaking of the group, Y/n had noticed that their attitudes towards her had also changed. Honey Lemon was a lot louder than usual, and smiling a lot wider. Wasabi seemed to be nervously sweating everytime she was near him, the others would make strange faces or flinch a little. Though it was very very subtle actions, they all still talked to her, but their behaviour around her was rather strange and it perked her curiosity ever so slightly.

It wasn't a friendship though, not at all. Y/n had told herself that repeatedly and solidified her thoughts and she thought back to all the new students this year who had came over to her room for help with their IT problems. It was no surprise that they felt slightly embarassed to be talking to someone younger than them to help, but Y/n treated everyone equally. Slowly, she developed a reputation for being kind and helpful, her cold demeanour only expressed to those being distasteful or pushing her boundaries.

Y/n flounced into the cafeteria just as Hiro had said some more bullshit about their relationship.

"We are totally great friends."
Hiro said with a proud smirk and puff of his chest.

The girl rolled her eyes and smacked the back of his head as she walked past.
"I said, nothing more than acquaintances Hamada."