Arrival

I had been on the road for nearly six hours. I was tired and snacking on some almonds so I wasn't completely starving by the time I got there. I was listening to one of my amazing mixed CDs. My GPS said I should be arriving in 35 minutes. I pulled into a Pilot gas station, grabbed my makup bag and headed in to pee and "put my face on." I squirted on some of my Forever Red perfume I bought from Bath and Body and I was out the door to drive on.

I saw the Bates Motel sign! Unsure where I should really park, I parked at the end of the building, turned off my GPS, checked myself in the mirror, put a peice of Ice Breakers Arctic Grape gum in my mouth, and got out. I walked up to the building and saw a door open. I could see a bit of red and I hurried in.

"Emma!" I shouted.

"Ginny!" she shouted back and came around from behind the counter to hug me. "How was your trip?!"

"Fine," I said. "I feel a little tired and a little famished."

Emma checked her watch. "I get off in 20 minutes, can you wait that long? I want to take you to lunch at my favorite diner!"

"Yes, I can wait that long! You look so cute, I love your outfit!"

"Thank you!" She pointed to a chair. "Here, you can have a seat."

"No thanks," I said. "I have been sitting for the past six hours. I want to stand."

A customer came in and Emma scooted around to the other side of the counter again."Sorry," she said, "just having a little reunion with my cousin. How was your stay?"

He smiled at me and said "Just fine, thank you!" He handed over the key and she checked him out. About as soon as he walked out, a tall skinny boy walked in quickly. "Good afternoon," he said to me as he walked behind the counter and to a back room. Emma stopped him. "Norman," she said. "This is Ginny!"

He realized and came back up to shake my hand. "Hello Ginny, I'm Norman."

His hands were kind of cold and clammy. I smiled a bit of a fake smile. "Hi," I lingered.

He gave me a weird nod and walked back to the room, sat down, and started doing paperwork. I guess that's what he's doing, anyways. I gave Emma a look telling her I think he's weird. She looked back at me with a plead in her eyes asking me to give him a chance. I can't help it that I already feel like he's a weirdo. But for her sake, and really for his, I suppose, I will try to be a bit less prejudice.