Savior

Sheriff Romero was with Dylan. They couldn't open the box because of the lock. "Scoot as far as you can to that side of the box," Romero shouted at us through the slits, pointing to my side of the box. Norman backed into me almost as if I was spooning him and Sheriff Romero shot his gun at the lock and it worked! They threw the lid off and yanked Norman out first.

I had to shield my eyes; the sky seemed so bright. Sheriff Romero yanked me out next. When I was on my shaky feet, and on beloved grass instead of the floor of the box, I held onto Romero and hugged him for a moment. I was silently crying. "Thank you so much," I whispered, looking him in the eye before falling into Dylan's arms.

Dylan hugged me so tight, I thought he'd never let go. He kissed the top of my head. "I thought I'd lost you," he whispered.

I heard Sheriff Romero speak. "Come on," he said. "Let's go before they show up."

I pulled away from Dylan and his eyes were glossy. I love a man who's not afraid to cry a little when his emotions overtake him.

I felt so weak, I held onto Dylan's arm. Norman was a step ahead of Dylan and I, behind Romero. He was desperate for his mother. But so was I at this point.

I felt so embarrassed because I was so dirty and I couldn't hold my bladder last night. I had to let it go and I sobbed the whole time it happened. Norman told me it was ok. He reassured me. I would thank him again for that later.

Norman and I got in the back of the Sheriff's SUV. He pealed out and headed for the motel. He glanced back at me. "Your parents are at the motel."

My eyes widened. "Really?!" I was so thankful to be safe. But in the pit of my stomach, I wondered if I was safe for long. I looked to my left. Norman was looking out the window. I gently placed my hand on top of his and he turned to face me. I smiled at him and he smiled back. Then we both turned back to our windows.

"I know Nick Ford was behind this," Dylan stated, facing the Sheriff.

The Sheriff nodded once at him and replied in a low voice, "We'll take care of them later."

                                                                    * * *

I ripped my seatbelt off of me and practically jumped out of the vehicle when I saw mom and dad. I may be 21, but in that moment I felt like a small child who needed nothing but the comfort and love of her parents.

My parents and I were crying as we ran towards each other and hugged tightly for a few minutes. There was an exchanging of whispers between us. In the background, I heard Norma shout for Norman and Norman shout for her. I hugged Emma and Uncle Will who were there also.

"Dylan," my mom cooed as she pulled in Dylan for a hug. "Thank you so much." Then she did the same with Romero.

"Dylan," Romero cocked his head towards his vehicle. Dylan nodded. At that point, I knew that they were going to kill people. And part of me was perfectly okay with extracting revenge.