Scared For You

I was freezing but I grew numb to it. I don't know how long I sat still, but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Finally, I stood and limped back inside the house. In the kitchen, Emma and Norman were sitting, Norma was standing, and they all stared at me once I entered the room. I noticed sitting there on the table in a bowl of rice was my phone. Emma saw me look and she mentioned, "It was damp. I think it will be ok though."

You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. Norman started tripping over his words, trying to apologize to me. I just stared blankly at him. At all of them really. I think it freaked them out a bit. I looked at Norma. "I need a room."

Emma looked shocked. "I need to be alone right now," I stated, keeping eyes on Norma the whole time.

"Ok," Norma said. She walked out of the room and came back with keys. "Emma, could you go to the office on your way out and get her key."

Emma stood and grabbed the keys from her. "Sure."

Norma looked exhausted as she weakly smiled at me and went to her room. Norman sat there, sniffling all weird-like before he went upstairs as well. Emma gave me a look and I followed her outside to the office. She had an umbrella but it didn't do her much good when the wind was blowing the rain in our faces.

I waited outside the office for her. When she met me after snatching the key, she gave me a hug. "I'll see you in the morning, ok?"

I nodded and turned to go to room 3. Once inside, I locked the door, stripped off all my wet clothes and cuddled under the covers. The tears burst out of me again and I bawled out loud. I wondered if any of the other guests in the motel could hear me.

Caleb was Dylan's dad. Dylan was a result of incest. This was so messed up. My heart broke for Dylan that night. It was so wrong of Caleb to have sex with his younger sister. It was so wrong of Norma to have Dylan. It was so wrong that I had unprotected sex with an inbred.

Right then, I hated myself for calling him that. What kind of heartless piece of shit was I to call such a goodhearted man that? Even if it was true, I can't believe I let that slip through my mind. I cried even harder.

I didn't get to telll him what I realized. Who knows where he was right now, or what he was doing. I was scared for him.

That night, I cried myself to sleep.