Don't Leave Me

That night in bed, around 10 p.m. I recieved a text from Dylan. It said "hey i'm back. so glad you're safe now."

I didn't reply. I think everyone else was asleep, but not I. In the back of my mind I wasn't sure I was safe. I mean, no one is ever 100% safe from the psychos of the world, but still. I bet he was...I squeezed my eyes tight...finishing the job. I can't think about him actually killing someone.

I gulped and tried to get some shut eye.

* * *

The next morning Emma called the house and told Norma we were up and ready to come up for breakfast.

It was summer but I had on sweats and a comfy pullover hoodie. I felt safe in them and I had a constant coldness that had nothing to do with the weather. The four of us headed up to the house and were greeted by the wonderful smell of French toast, eggs, and bacon. I plopped down and my heart skipped a beat when Dylan entered the room. We met eyes and he looked at the chair beside me and pointed to it with an eyebrow raised, nonverbally saying: "Can I sit by you?" I curtesy smiled and nodded my head. I was glad he sat by me. I don't know what's going to happen with us, and I have mixed emotions, but I needed to feel the comfort of him. I wrapped my hands around his arm and placed my head on his shoulder for just a moment while Norma was setting down the plates of food. I freaking piled my plate and noshed. There was conversing and many thank yous.

After breakfast, mom, dad and I hugged everyone and thanked them yet again. I whispered in Norman's ear, telling him thanks. That's all I had to say and he understood. We were taking Emma home so she went out the door with mom and dad, Dylan and I lagging purposefully behind. "Hey, can we talk for a minute?" Dylan asked me. I nodded and we sat on one of the steps leading down to the motel and watched as the other three went to pack up.

Dylan shook his head a little. "I'm so glad you're ok," he said, turning to face me.

I faced him back. "You saved my life. You and Sheriff Romero. I can never repay you for that."  We were both on the verge of tears I think. I took a breath and came right out with it. "Dylan, what happened last night? Where'd you go?"

"Ginny, I don't think-"

I cut him off. I knew he was trying to avoid telling me. "Tell me. What did you do?"

Dylan sighed and licked his lips. "Alex went to check out Zane's place and I went to Nick Ford's. He wasn't happy that Zane was still alive so he was going to kill me." My eyes bugged right out of my skull. He continued, "I protected myself and I ended up killing him with a fireplace poker. I sliced his throat with it."

All the while he was telling me this, he stared at the ground until finally he chanced it and looked at me to see my reaction. I don't know how my face looked. I was kind of in shock, but kind of unsurprised. He went on. "Then, I called Alex and told him what happened. He wanted me at Zane's place so we could finish it. And we did. Zane and his cronies tried to put up a fight. We basically had a shootout, but we won. There won't be any more problems from Nick Ford or Zane. They're dead."

There was a moment of silence as I was processing this. "Ginny, I didn't want to tell you because of this reason," he said, breaking the silence.

"Dylan, I needed to know. I'm just glad you're not hurt. So this is going to be swept under the rug?"

Dylan licked his lips. "Alex will come up with a cover story. I won't be mentioned at all."

For some strange reason, I had to tell him right then and there. I looked at him with a painful expression. "Norman killed Ms. Watson. That's why Nick Ford was after him and Norma."

Dylan looked completely shocked and speechless. Each brother had killed another and I doubt it will ever come to light, and neither will be punished for it. It's my burden to let go.

Another moment of silence. Dad and mom were piling luggage in the trunk. I knew it was time to go. Dylan could sense it also. "Ginny, I want you to know that I love you. I should have said it back, but you caught me off guard. I'm sorry."

"I know," I whispered.

"Where does this leave us?" he asked.

"I don't know," I replied, a tear sliding down my cheek and landing in the corner of my mouth.

We both stood up at that moment and hugged tightly. I don't think either of us really wanted to let go. So we didn't. At least not for a moment.

But it had to end. So it did. We grabbed each other's hands and we kissed one last time before I let his hands slide from mine and slightly above a whisper, I said, "Goodbye, Dylan."

"Goodbye, Ginny," he said with a cracked voice. I had already turned and was making my way down the steps. I knew he was crying and I couldn't look or else I would lose it more than I already was. But I was doing ok. I was trying so hard to keep it under control. I breathed deeply and opened my mouth to exhale. I opened the car door and got in the front seat I had requested that morning. I buckled my seatbelt, waited for dad to put it in reverse, back up and start heading to the road when I finally allowed myself to glance up at Dylan and wave goodbye.