World In Flames

Norman and I didn't speak for a while. I let my mind ponder about what Norman did. I really couldn't believe it. I knew there was something up with him. After a while, my mind trailed further from Norman....

Dylan. Of course he had crossed my mind. Knowing him is the reason I am here right now. But I have been thinking about my parents and Emma more than Dylan...I wonder what he's doing now...

It was dark outside. Norman and I were both lying on our backs. He had his eyes closed as did I. I started humming. Randomly at first, then starting humming an actual song. One close to my heart.

I heard stirring from Norman. "What are you humming? It's pretty," he said in a calm voice. I turned my head to face him even though I couldn't see him in the darkness. I smiled with a tear falling down my cheek. "It's beautiful song," I whispered.

"What are the words?" Norman asked. I turned my head back to face the box ceiling. Did I want to sing out loud? Or did I want to just say the words...hum them, even. "I'll just keep humming," I said.

"No, sing me the words. I want to hear them." I heard a smile in Norman's voice. In this moment in time, I felt oddly close to Norman. No matter what he did. I was glad he was with me and I wasn't alone. "Ok," I whispered. I started singing the words in a very shaky, tearful voice....

  It's two thirty a.m.

I slowly come awake.

I know somethings just not right.

I walk slowly to the door,

and feel the heat through the walls;

smell the burning outside...

And all I can see

are these flames around me.

And all I can think

is I'm here alone.

Please find me and save me...

Even if the world ignites into flames

you'll be right here by my side.

And as it burns away,

you smile at me and say

that, "not even death could take me away from you..."

All I could think about at this point was Dylan. I knew he was the one who had to save me from this place, from these people. I stopped singing, choking on tears. Automatically, I rolled on my side and curled into a ball. Norman scooted closer and wrapped his arms around me the best he could with the tape still around his wrists. He whispered in my ear, "You are right. That is a beautiful song." We stayed that way the rest of the freezing night.