Norman, You Player

I stormed out after him (after pausing in unbelief, that is) and he was already being whisked away in Annika's sporty car. Emma came out of the office and shut the light and locked the door.

"Emma!" I said. She seemed sad like she knew what I was going to say. "You know what Norman just freaking told me?"

"I hope it's the reason he took off with her," she swung her arm towards the direction they drove off in.

I relayed the conversation to her, also telling her about Hannah. Emma was saddened, I could tell. "Don't feel bad for not telling me," she said. "Everyone has thoughts they'd rather keep to themselves."

I thought that was an odd comment but I brushed it aside. I gave her a hug and asked her if she was ok. She sighed and said, "Yeah. I could tell it just wasn't working between us either. He's just not what or who I wanted after all." She looked down at her tank.

"Well, look, I need to go talk to Hannah."

"Where's Dylan at tonight?" she asked.

"He said he was working or something. I'll see you later," I waved and walked down to our room. Before turning the knob, I glanced down the walkway to see Emma driving away. I went into the room to see Hannah reading a book with the TV on. "Hey," she began in a light tone but I shut it down quick. "I told you not to mess with Norman. He's a dickhead."

"Why?"

"He started dating Emma while he was talking to you. Now he's up the ass of that freakin Annika chick."

Hannah's face fell. "Oh. How long had they been dating?"

"Only a couple days but still. He played both of you and I just confronted him about it and he brushed me off! He said "oh well me and Emma aren't compatible mehmehmeh" and he shoved past me to give directions to that girl. Without even telling Emma! I just told her!"

"That's crazy," she said. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. I will say that at least we weren't like, really flirting or anything. It was more friendship things."

"Yeah, that's what he said. He said it was nice to have a friend that wasn't around all the time. Probably so he can be psycho without their knowledge!"

Hannah flung her wrist and said in a funny voice, "Probably. I feel bad for Emma though."

"Me too. But I think she's ok. She kind of knew something wasn't right."

I was tired so we turned off the TV and lights and went to bed. I was sleeping pretty good until my phone started buzzing on the table. It was after midnight and it was Dylan. "Hello?" I asked groggily.

"Hey, I'm outside your room. Come outside."

"Why? I'm sleeping," I whisper, confused from being woke up.

"Come on. I really want to show you something."

"Ugh. Hold on." I hung up and got out of bed and shuffled to the door. The night air was chilly and I wrapped my arms around each other. "What?" I asked.

"Put some shoes on, and get in my truck," he said, tossing his head back at the running Ford parked near the door.

"No! Why?"

His gorgeous face just looked at me. "Come on. There's something I want to show you."

"Ok, hold on," I gave in and shut the door. Hannah was stirring and I told her I would be back Dylan wanted to show me something. I slipped my Converse on, tucking the shoelaces in my sole. I went outside and got in the truck. "I'm freezing!" I said.

Dylan took off his leather jacket handed it to me. I wrapped up in it. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," he side-grinned at me.

He drove up what might have been mountains or a really tall hill. I couldn't tell in the dark, not to mention I was still confuzzled about what was going on. Finally, he pulled into this flat open area where there was an old barn. Or remains of one. He parked the truck and turned off the engine. "Where are we?" I asked.

He put his arm on the headrest behind me. "I'm thinking about buying this," he said proudly.

"What? This whole area?"

He nodded. "Yup."

"Why?"

He looked at me. "Why not?"

I shrugged. I felt a little hurt because I thought he was thinking of coming away with me but I didn't voice this out loud. "To do what with?"

"Build a house. Maybe a little farm so I can do my own business and not have to work at the dock anymore."

"Wait, a farm? You mean a pot farm?"

He looked at me, knowing I wasn't liking this idea. And I told him that.

"I just wanted to let you know. And to see what you think about it."

"I don't really like it. I hate the thought of you and pot. I know it's your job and you make really good money, but still. I don't know..."

"What if it was your house too?" I looked at him but didn't speak. "Would you live here with me?"

I only waited a second before nearly choking on the word "No."

He was startled I think. "Why not?"

"I don't know. What did I just say? And I know I said I kind of missed this town but I'm not sure if I want to live here. Where would I work?"

"Now I know you don't like the idea, but what if I told you that you could help manage the farm? The books?"

I shrugged. I was feeling annoyed by this whole charade. "I don't think I like that idea. Sorry."

He pulled back his arm and looked down for a moment before turning the key in his engine. "I understand. Sorry for waking you up. But thank you for coming."

He drove away from the piece of land and I didn't know what to say. So I didn't say anything. The ride back was quiet. I was just thinking and processing everything. I really didn't know what to feel about it all. It made me wonder if he already made his future plans. With or without me.