Wake Up Call

Early the third morning, my phone starting buzzing on the table. I didn't recognize the number, but groggily I answered. "Hello?"

A female starting speaking. "Hi, is this Ginny?"

I sat up. "Yes..."

"Hi, Ginny, this is Barbara Flannigan with Able's Family Dentistry. We've recieved your resume and were wondering if you could come in for an interview this Thursday?"

"Uhm, yes!" I blurted out.

"Ok, great! What time would work for you?"

"Uh, any time really."

"How abuout two o'clock?"

"Yes! That's sounds perfect!"

"Ok, Ginny, we will see you at two on Thursday."

"Okay, thank you! Bye."

"Goodbye."

By that time, Hannah was sitting up as well. "Who was that?"

"Able's Family Dentistry. I have an interview at Thursday at two."

"So does that mean we are leaving today? Or tomorrow?"

Well, crap. I mean, while I was on the phone, I had thought in the back of my mind that "hey, you're out of town seeing your boyfriend!" but I have been looking for a job a little, and I want to take it and see how it goes. "Tomorrow. Probably early afternoon. I don't care for driving at night."

"I understand. Do you think Dylan will?"

I shrugged. "He's going to have too. I'm gonna get a shower."

I had just zipped up my jeans when there was a knock at the door. I had a bra on, but hadn't had time to slip on a shirt. Hannah was in the shower. I peeked through the door hole. It was Dylan. Whew, good! I was a little worried there for a second. I opened the door, but not all the way so everyone who drove by could see me shirtless. Dylan's eyes landed on my chest and I smiled on the inside, but I felt off with him since last night. "Hey," he said. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," I replied, opening the door further for him. "Hannah's in the shower." I turned and walked over in between the beds where my green shirt had slipped off the bed and fallen on the ground.

"Hey, I have to go into work today."

I shot him a look as I picked up my shirt. "For how long?"

"I'm hoping I can get off at 3. I'm sorry, they need me."

I slipped the green tshirt on then ran my left hand through my hair. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

"What? Why?"

"They called me this morning for an interview."

"When is it?"

"Thursday at two."

"Where?"

"A dentist office."

He took a deep breath. "I mean, I'm happy for you, but I hate that you're leaving so soon. Uhm...can we grab lunch together today? I still get my lunch hour. Can we meet at the diner? Just us?"

I looked in the direction of the shower. I didn't want to have to leave Hannah to fend for herself, but when I heard the water shut off I was rushed into an answer. "Yeah, sure. What time?"

"12:30."

I went for the doorknob and opened it, gesturing for him to leave. "Ok, I'll meet you there."

He said goodbye but we didn't hug or kiss. Like I said, I felt off with him. I had a bad feeling in my stomach. Almost as if this were the end again or something. We just can't commit on where we should be together. I told Hannah about it and she was fine with me leaving her for lunch. She offered to stay in the town square and shop so that we can hang out and do something in town after lunch. I thought that sounded like fun. "Hey, I'm going to tell Emma real quick, I'll be back." I left Hannah to finish getting ready.

"Hey," I greeted her, shutting the office door behind me.

She only glanced up at me for a second before a short "Hey" back. What is up with people? I feel off with her too! Before I could even open my mouth about the interview, she brought up last night. "So I heard you don't want to run the books for Dylan's pot farm."

I was taken aback. How did she already know about this? She could see it on my face that I was thinking that, so she added in, "Dylan told me."

"What all do you and Dylan talk about?"

"A little of everything," she slightly shrugged a shoulder.

"Yeah, I don't think I want to get caught up in that. Anyways, I am leaving tomorrow because I have an interview."

"Oh," was all Emma could muster. I could feel my blood begin to boil so I muttered I would talk to her later and flung open the door, letting it slam shut behind me. Ugh, what was her deal? And what else had Dylan told her?!