Leave You Behind

By "home" I meant Emma's. Actual home was six hours away. And I'd be there tomorrow evening; I had decided it. I was wasting my time here. I felt like a fool and I needed to go home. I would leave tomorrow morning.

It had been hours and still no word from Dylan. Apprently his feelings didn't reciprocate mine. No matter. I will just leave White Pine Bay behind. Pretend none of this ever happened.

I had my suitcase packed. I had stopped crying for the moment. My eyes wouldn't produce anymore tears. Uncle Will had asked what happened and I just told him that I loved Dylan but he didn't feel the same way; leaving out everything else.

Of course I didn't sleep a lick. I knew I would be exhausted in the morning and I was right. Emma and Uncle Will helped me load my bags into my trunk. I hugged them and told them I really appreciated them letting me stay there, and many thanks.

"Let me know when you get there," Emma said. "Are you sure you're ok to drive?"

I lied by shrugging and saying "Yeah, I think so."

Emma looked up at her dad to give him the hint. He nodded, told me to have a safe trip and to call when I got home.

Once Uncle Will was back inside, Emma got down to business. "Are you sure you have to leave?"

I looked down, not answering.

"Ginny," she touched my shoulder. "He may just need some time..."

I cut her off. "No, it's ok. I'm done with him. He doesn't feel the same way so whatever. It's fine."

She knew it wasn't fine but she kept those thoughts to herself. We hugged again and I situated myself in my car and took off. I kept my cool until I saw the sign saying "Thank you for visiting White Pine Bay!" and I felt overwhelmed. I didn't cry, because I couldn't. I took some breaths, shook my head, and blared my radio.

I was halfway home. Along the highway, I kept meeting up with this blacked out car and it made me feel uncomfortable. I hated when people could see into my vehicle but I couldn't see into theirs. I kept meeting other vehicles as well, but they didn't make me feel iffy.

Dylan had called and texted. I decided to ignore them and it was beyond hard to do. Emma called me and I answered. I was flabbergasted when she told me Dylan came to her, freaking out and needing to see me. She relayed the conversation:

"Why?" she stated in an uncaring monotone voice.

"I fucked up, ok. I need to tell her something. I..."

"Tell her what, exactly?" Emma proded.

"Why does it matter?" Dylan asked hastily.

"Because she's my cousin and I don't want you to hurt her anymore." She told me Dylan had looked at her like he didn't know what she meant by 'hurting her'.

He licked his lips and gave in. "Ok. She told me loved me and I didn't say anything to her. I just left. But I need to tell her I'm sorry and that I love her too."

"Why didn't you just tell her then?"

"Because she caught me off guard! And because I just found out my uncle is my dad. How can she love anyone like me?"

"She fell in love with you before she even knew about that. But it's too late now."

"What? What do you mean?"

"She's gone, Dylan."

"What?"

"She went home. She left this morning. You missed your chance."

That's when he started calling and texting me. I did look at the texts and they were things like 'please call me back', 'Ginny I need to talk to you', and 'it's important please come back'.

Sayonara, handsome.