Disappointment

My stomach completely dropped out of my body. I just told Dylan I loved him and he looked at me. Blank, but confused. I feel like there was a hint of anger or something. I couldn't tell.

The air was tense and I became hot. Dylan nor I spoke a word during our stare down. It was seconds, but felt like much longer...

I was appalled when Dylan turned and got in his truck. He sat in the driver's side and I knew he was debating on saying something to me. But he didn't and he wouldn't even look at me. Instead, he backed out of the driveway, and I let him go.

I gasped for air. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I felt like I could collapse. Suddenly, I wasn't hot anymore. Instead, I was freezing cold. "Ginny," I heard Emma call. I slowly spun around to face her. She saw my face and she rushed over to me. "What happened?" she asked. I needed to sit down.

I followed her into the office and sat down in one of the chairs. Norman came up from the parlor but I didn't mind at this point. I told them both what happened. I was crying a little as I spoke.

They tried to comfort me, but I felt numb. I held onto my phone that I had retrieved at breakfast, hoping that Dylan would call or text. But deep down, I knew he wasn't going to. "Emma," I whispered. "Take me home."