Chapter 26: Reunion

The others looked at Spirit with wide eyes. Spirit shook his head and narrowed his eyes at ‘his brother’

“Prove it.”

Spirit said, not wanting to believe this was his brother. Shadow raised his right paw, and turned it so they can see under it. There was a mark under it. The mark was more like two scratches, two deep scratches, going past each other, forming an X shape. Spirit’s memories came flooding back at him.

Flashback

“Spirit! Look! A squirrel! Mom said we can start hunting from today, right?” Shadow asked  his brother. “Yeah! But it’s so high up on the tree… How can we get that?” Spirit asked.

“Easy!”

Shadow started climbing up the tree, and when he was high enough to jump up to the squirrel , he jumped and lunged at it, but before he pinned it down, the squirrel scratched his right paw. The scratches were deep, but Shadow still pinned it down and got it down from the tree. Shadow laughed as Spirit ran to Shadow in concern.

End Flashback

Spirit’s eyes started tearing up, as he looked at his brother. “You’re alive…” 

“Spirit, there’s no time to waste. I can hear a lot of wolves coming. Looks like they’ve detected us. They probably saw those other wolves we knocked out on the way here.” Devin said, interrupting the moment, as Spirit nodded, and shook his head to get serious. “Shadow, are you an ally… or are you at their side?” Spirit asked seriously.

“I’m an ally, apparently, they’ve only tortured me and forced me to do this, so I can’t say I like what I’m doing right now.” Shadow replied. Spirit nodded and told him to lead the way to where the captured Alphas were. They saw ten Alphas in the cell. “H-huh? Is this a traitor from the outcasts? Tsch. He’d get a beating if he gets captured.” One of the Alphas said. “Hey kid… get back to your allies or else we’ll be the ones to bea-“ They didn’t finish their sentence as Spirit growled and had a grim dark look on his face. The others stopped talking and let the rescuers lead the way. Spirit told Shadow he can bring him to the Alpha camp so that he can be an Alpha too, as he followed Spirit and the others out of the camp.

Whilst trying to sneakily get away from the camp, someone spotted Shadow and immediately said to attack. They quickly knocked them out since they were beginners. After a few fights and sneaking here and there, they were finally out of the valley. “Spirit, you sure the others will accept me?” Shadow asked, uncertain.  “Of course! The Alphas are accepting. Well, at least, I think most of them are.” Spirit said. “C’mon guys, we better get back before the others start getting worried.” Devin said, as the others

While walking back to the camp in the forest, Spirit asked Shadow a question. “Say Shadow, do you know everything about the Alphas and why the outcasts are… well, “Outcasts”?” Shadow nodded. “Well, what was the first thing they did to you when you were back at their camp when you were the pup?”

“They told me to follow everything they say, or else I’m dead. They started torturing me even though I was actually following them. They tortured me so much I’ve got used to it.” Shadow replied as Spirit looked at him in pity. “Oh… Do you want to join my team when you’re an Alpha, then?” Spirit asked as Shadow nodded cheerfully. “Devin, Faith, and Heather are in my team. Let me introduce them to you, and you to them.” Spirit informed.

When they were back at the camp, wolves kept on throwing odd looks at the one extra wolf as the captured ones returned to their friends and families. Heather and Faith went back to their camp, as Devin and Spirit led Shadow to Desmond’s den. When they were inside, they both sat down, and Shadow did the same. “Desmond, Shadow is my brother. He was tortured by the outcasts and were forced to do things. Think you can accept him to the Alpha camp?” Spirit asked in an absurdly casual way. “Hm. I normally wouldn’t accept wolves randomly. But since he is your brother, I’ll just give him a chance. Prove his loyalty for a week, by not doing anything threatening at all to the Alpha camp, and I’ll let him in.” Desmond said as Spirit nodded.

Spirit and Shadow were now alone near the food pile, eating. “Wait… Spirit, where do I sleep?” Shadow asked, as Spirit looked everywhere. He remembered no wolf ever comes in to the den beside his den, so he pointed the vacant den beside his and said; “Why don’t you sleep there? To the right of it is my den.” Spirit said as Shadow nodded. After eating, they said their good night’s and went to sleep.