Chapter 14: Spies?

Spirit awoke with a yawn, as his eyes slowly fluttered open. He stared blankly at nothing. apparently, his mind was still asleep. He shook his head and got up, went out the den, and went to the food pile. He was getting used to this daily routine.

As he finished eating, he looked around and Devin was nowhere to be seen. They usually meet up in the morning while eating. He stood up and went to Desmond’s den to ask what the day’s activities were going to be. Precisely, today was Basic combat training. But he wanted to know where and how they’re going to practice it.

He entered Desmond’s den and sat down in front of Desmond, who was also sitting down, probably waiting for him to come in. ‘Wait, if he’s already awake before I am, around what time?’ Spirit thought in curiosity as it suddenly came to mind. “Good morning.” Spirit greeted Desmond, as Desmond said the same.

“What will we be doing today?” Spirit was pretty much excited. He personally liked training on basic combat. Well, at least, he has already liked it since the very beginning. So you can say that he really likes the first day of his first schedule.  “We’re going on a mission.”

Spirit’s ears perked up, remembering their conversation. It was either of the two missions right now: The team mission, which Spirit and his team would work on, and he doesn’t really have a team yet. So that’s out. Or he can do it by himself… Nah, that’s not possible. So then, he was going to a mission with the other alphas. At least that’s how he remembers it. “I’m going on a mission with the other alphas?” Spirit spoke his thoughts.

“Yes. Apparently, this mission is about stealth. Think of it as training to get yourself more quieter.” Desmond noted, as Spirit nodded. “What’s the mission, though?” Spirit asked in curiosity.

“Do you remember the wolves who kidnapped you?” Spirit nodded, wondering why it was brought to the topic.

“Apparently, now that you’re gone, they’re trying to find a new way to get you. Which means they’re still on the move.” Spirit kept on nodding to note that he was listening, and for him to continue.

“They are the OutCasts. They are former members of the Alpha pack who has suddenly turned into dark monsters… At the very least. They suddenly wanted to use their powers for evil purposes, selfish pleasures, and ignored everyone’s complaints. It was getting serious, and I had to remove all the members of this part of the Alphas. Everyone who suddenly turns like that is turned over to the OutCasts.” Spirit nodded. He was getting a lot of info every day. He was getting used to it, though.

“You, and the others, will be spying on them. Keep an eye out for what they’re doing, we need to know what they’re planning to do next. It might be some lure, some trap. Everything is possible. We need to think out of the box. You will all come back at sun set. By then, you and the others will go to the meeting clearing, where everyone will report what they have seen. You don’t know of the meeting clearing yet. It’s where the higher ups meet up every other day to give any kind of reports about the OutCasts, the pack members behavior, and the such.” Spirit nodded. He mentally noted that he shouldn’t act suspicious anywhere, since now he knows someone is always watching him. Not that he was planning to, anyway. “So we only need to spy on them and report what they’re doing to the meeting clearing by sun set, right?” Spirit asked to confirm what he all just heard.

“Right. You will meet up with the other alphas at the clearing where we practice.” Spirit nodded as Desmond made a motion for him to go.

Spirit stood up and started heading for the practice clearing. ‘I already have my own name for that clearing… I’ll call it that for now. We’ll probably practice in it every time.’ Spirit mentally nodded in satisfaction. He reached the clearing and was surprised to see only 2 other wolves there. He was lucky though, Devin was one of them. He didn’t know who the other one was.

Devin’s head turned to the right. He probably smelled Spirit incoming. Apparently, he hadn’t forgotten that Devin was  blind. “Oh, hey, Spirit! Come here.” Devin stood up and sat down to the left of the unknown wolf. Yes. To the left of the unknown wolf. Which is, to the right of spirit. He sat down at the left side, as Devin introduced them to each other. “Spirit, this is Aevitas, one of the higher ranking wolves in the pack.” Spirit looked at Aevitas. (Pronunciation : Ay-vi-tas ) He was a tall plain white wolf, with an awfully furry chest. Aevitas only looked to him in confirmation and nodded. “I’m leading this mission today. The camp of the OutCasts is located on higher grounds, a valley, or so.” Spirit and Devin nodded in confirmation.

“Of course, It isn’t that tall, the valley is around five meters tall. It’s pretty short, so I don’t even know if we should consider it a valley. But the thing is; It’s on higher grounds. That higher grounds, at least, is really big and wide, and has grass. So then, there are bushes, trees, and grass to hide on. That is the environment of their camp. But there are also areas in which it is impossible to spy. Which means, there are lots and lots of clearings in their area.”

“We will start heading for their camp now. Try to remember your way there so that if you lead for next missions like this, you’ll be able to lead the group to their camp.” They both nodded.

Aevitas stood up and started walking to the direction of the camp, and the others followed suit.

In the middle of their travel, Aevitas started running, the others following. They were getting a bit tired too.

After a few minutes, no, a few hours, they finally arrived at the valley, but the valley itself was so big Spirit thinks it probably took up a quarter of the forest. ‘Wait, if the whole top of the valley is the whole camp of the Outcasts… the camp I was in was only a quarter, no, less than a quarter of the whole camp?!’  Spirit thinks it’s absurd, but he’s probably right about that. As they began climbing the not-so-tall valley, a strong gust of wind came by, and surprisingly, it dramatically affected Aevitas’ pose. Aevitas held his head raised high, his stature was as if he was prideful, which made him look really tall. The gust of wind made the fur on his chest turn one side. Spirit’s eye twitched. He felt like he was doing this on purpose. “Yep, he dramatically and randomly makes poses. Deal with it.” Devin whispered to him. Spirit sighed and continued walking as Aevitas also continued walking as the gust of wind stopped. Devin followed shortly after. There were a few jokes made here and there, but as they finally reached the top, they all went silent.

The entrance of the camp was a Drop-Dead Clearing. Literally. The grass was dark, and all the flowers were rotting.

Well, this was going to be a fun experience. To say the least.

[A/N] I’m really sorry for the late spree update. Quotev blocked me. :c I searched the site why I can’t access the SITE itself, and I found out Quotev goes into blocking sprees for no reason at all. Apparently, I’m a victim of this “Blocking Spree” And if any of my quotev followers are reading this, Please tell it to the others. :v The only solution to get back to the quotev site is for me to change my Ip address :I But mom says if we do, we won’t get internet.        QAQ So…. Bai :c