19: Nobody Said It Was Easy

~~ Dylan ~~

*Earlier That Night*

"Dammit!" I growled the minute, the small TV remote stopped responding. My fingers violently pressed against random buttons, and I impatiently awaited for it to work again.

"Piece of shit," I muttered to myself. I threw the stupid thing across the room and almost hitting one of the guys in the face."You almost got Josh in the eye!" Matt chuckled beside me, and I gave him quick, guilty glare.

"Sorry," I winced towards Josh, his hazel eyes still a bit wide. "Great. . . What the hell are we suppose to do now?" I sighed, my eyes drifting down towards my huge feet."Why don't you get your lazy ass up and turn the TV on the right way?" Mark's rough voice called from the floor.

"Well, you're the one who suggested it. So why don't you do it?" Jackson blurted out, and I chuckled as their bickering echoed in my room. Then I felt a lonely pang in my heart, knowing someone was missing from the gang. . .

"Alright, alright! I'll do it! Jesus. . ." I hissed, bolting up from the bed and walking towards the small TV. I punched the gray button on the front of it, and watched as the screen flickered to life."Hey, Dylan. . . Who's that?" I turned around to see Josh, who was curiously pointing to the old picture frame on my nightstand. "Who cares!" Mark hissed. "Let's just finally play the damn game!"

As I sat down on the old mattress, my eyes narrowed at the picture frame. I gulped and said, "That's my, um, dad."Josh squinted his eyes as he continued to stare at the picture. "Funny," he said. "I thought you said you never had a dad. . " Mark looked at me, smiling playfully and Josh continued to prattle on. "And it's weird. . . I swear that looks kinda like. . ."

"Let it go, buddy. It's just an old photo," I scoffed, putting my hand on his shoulder to signal him to give it up and play the video game already.

"No, hold on! He seems so famil-" "Josh ,just let it go," Matt hissed, sensing my dad was a sensitive subject. "I know him! His name's on the tip of my tongue!""Let it go!" I growled, and my stomach felt like a washing machine. And the queasy feeling only got worse as I watched Josh pick up the picture."Holy shit! Is this who I think it is!?"

"Josh! Forget the freaking picture already!!" I yelled, my hands tightening my grip on his shoulder. I felt everyone's eyes glued on us and I knew what was going to happen."Ben's your dad. . . isn't he?" he whispered, his gaze straight ahead. My breath became heavier and everything seemed to slow down."Wait. . . Ben?" questioned Jackson. "Isn't that Belle's dad?"

The room was tense, especially after hearing her name. The girl we had been torturing for years. The girl we had played countless prank after prank on. The girl I hated so much. . .Suddenly, Josh broke out into a fit of laughter. "Hah, she's your damn sister!? I knew it! I knew you couldn't hate her for no reason," Josh laughed, smirking to himself, as if he had solved all of life's unanswerable questions.

I stood staring at the wall and I saw out of the corner of my eye, Josh putting the picture down. Others begin to whisper about the whole situation and I felt angry. Why couldn't everyone just shut the fuck up?

I turned to them and felt the anger flush my face. "Just let it go!" My voice cut through the air like a knife and they were all immediately silent. "All of you! Just. . . Just shut the fuck up!!"Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped out of fear. Anger soon emerged and I turned around to see Matt behind me. "Is that true, Dylan?"

I heard what he was saying, and it immediately annihilated all of my sudden anger. I only now, felt guilty."Is that why. . . you made us do all that shit to her?"

My eyes fell to the floor and I felt the lump rise in my throat and begin to enlarge. I knew this was going to happen. I knew they would all hate me, and that no one. . . No one will ever love me.And all at once, they begin to yell..