42 - Bella

The house was cold and it was dead silent, fitting for the way I was currently feeling. I dumped my bags at the door and headed to the kitchen to flick on the kettle for a cuppa but when I opened the cupboard doors they're all empty apart from the very little amount of coffee left in the jar. It's too late to go to the shops now though, I'll just go in the morning, after all I have a free weekend now.

As I'm pouring the boiled water into the mug I feel my phone vibrating in the back pocket of my jeans, I can already guess who it is that's phoning me. I don't even know where we stand right now, I left so weirdly without even saying things were fine. If I did I'd have be lying. I'm still secretly hurt by the fact he lied about something so minor and also the fact he mentioned stuff he promised he wouldn't talk about with me.

"Hello?" I answer, picking up the cup of black coffee and sitting down on the sofa in the living room with just the lamp in the corner lighting up the room.

"Guessing you've landed then, how was your flight?" He sounded slightly let down but that's all he did sound like while I was there with him the past two days.

"Yeah I just got home, it's 3 in the morning here" The cold air that surrounds me sends a shiver over my body but cold is exactly how I'm feeling on the inside so it barely even phases me.

"Sorry, you must be shattered. Did you get something to eat since I last seen you?" There's something heartwarming about the way he checks up on me but I can't decide whether it's just to show me he cares or whether he actually does care.

"No but I'll get in the morning, theres nothing here anyway." Van would usually just panic at the thought of me not eating for a few hours but deep down he knows I'd never go back to that time in my life, so he thinks anyway.

"When I'm home our cupboards will never be empty, or maybe they will 'cause I will have eaten everything but you know what I mean." He jokes, making me laugh slightly through my nose. "Anyway I'll let you get some sleep, you make sure you get something in the morning okay Bell?" I can even hear his worry through the phone, it's exactly how it is when he's home and tried to hide the fact he's scared of losing me.

"I will, see you soon Van" I hang up the phone and chuck it down in front of me. My coffees gone cold and I'm not even fancying it anymore. For a couple minutes I just sit there in silence letting to cold nip at my skin. It's not often I enjoy silence, I normally finding way too daunting but with the pain I was feeling in my head it was surprisingly comforting.

————————

My eyes snap open to the loud banging noise I could hear. I must've fallen asleep here last night. I was still wearing the same hoodie and trackies I travelled home in yesterday, my bags are still lying at the door and my coffee is still cold on the table. Once again the loud banging noise makes another appearance and I figure it's just somebody at the door. It's 10AM, I'm not usually someone who get's up this late but I really was shattered.

I kick my bags out the way as I approach the door, confused about who it could even be standing at the other side at 10AM on a Sunday, especially as this house is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. When I open it my brothers standing there with Macy who's holding a banana out to me as Ewan stands being her holding an Asda carrier bag. A smile immediately springs to my face at the sight of my family.

"Van text me asking me to make sure you had something for breakfast cause you haven't done your food shopping yet. So here we are saving you a Job" he says as Macy hands me the banana she was holding. "Bananas are her new favourite so she wanted you to have one for breakfast." I can't help but smile at the sight of the two of them standing at my door.

I take them inside, apologising for the mess of the place as I'm nowhere near finished decorating but they genuinely couldn't care less. Ewan doesn't know where I keep any of my food in this house and neither do I yet but I just put them in whatever cupboard goes for now. Macy's still confused about the fact I moved house but she just stays close to me and her dad, unsure of the new surroundings.

"How come you left New York yesterday, you didn't fall out with Van did you?" Ewan asks, chucking the carrier bag into the bucket and handing Macy a toy phone from his pocket. Sometimes I wonder whether it's a good thing how close Ewan and Van are but I know Ewan means well, I just wouldn't tell him about our silly arguments.

"No, they were busier than expected but he's back home for two days in a month" I tell him, trying to think of the an excuse as to why I left instead of telling him the truth. Simply because I can't be bothered going through it all again.

"Good, he really cares about you, you know that. Yous 'av got a bright future ahead of yous" He scoops Macy up into his arms. I just smile at him, unsure of what to say. "Anyway we need to go and pick up Mummy from the doctors, see you soon though. Make sure you grab something to eat yeah?" His free arm wraps around me loosely so he doesn't squash Macy but she then puts her own little arms around my neck.

"Soph alright?" I ask him, genuinely concerned about her well being but he just smirks and I can only guess why she's at the doctor. Although I don't want to bring it up, if what I was thinking was true they'd probably want to announce it properly.

My brother and his partner were potentially having a second child, Van and Ewan are the same age and so and Sophie. We're the same age as them yet they're settled down maybe having a second child yet Van and I are miles apart having silly arguments, unsure of how each other even feels at this point.