Ending: Elijah

Your heart pounded in time with your feet as they propelled you through the forest line and into the darkness of the trees. You could hear the car screech to a stop and shouting erupt behind you, but you were already too far away for the words to stand out

2 miles...2 miles... just run 2 miles... Your brain repeated over and over as you struggled to look at the ground in front of you. Various tree roots and twigs stuck up and you didn't want to fall and lose even more time trying to get to the right spot.

The trees passed you in a blur and the shadows molded together to create various shapes, some of which resemble humans a little too much and caused you to turn your head.

Once you were sure you were a decent distance from the road, you turned and ran parallel to the way the cars were going. Leaves crunched under you and far away an owl called out, increasing your already high nerves.

It was so quiet.

There was no sound around you. No screaming of the boys, no pounding of footsteps in your direction, no cars squealing by in attempt to find you. You weren't stupid enough to think they had given up but you were confused by the lack of pursuit.

Shaking it all off, you continued on, darting in between and around trees trying to count in your head how long it had been. The longer you ran the more paranoid you got that one of the boys would be lurking in the shadows waiting to grab you, but it never happened.

You ran past a tall tree and multiple birds flew away, cawing and making noise that had you cringe. You didn't think that anyone would be able to pinpoint you from that but the noise still could bring potential unwanted attention.

Your feel crunched on the leaves as they carried you forward, your lungs starting to protest at the consistent speed. You slowed down slightly, hoping that it wouldn't cost you anything.

I should have about 10 minutes left before I hit the edge of the property... You thought as your head swiveled the left and right looking out for anyone.

The phone tucked in your felt like a deadweight. What if you messaged them? It wouldn't hurt right?

No, it wasn't in the plan... just keep going.

You sighed and picked up your pace again, the moon illuminating your path as patches of leaves failed to cover the ground. You counted down the minutes in your head,

9...

8...

7...

6...

You sprinted the last five minutes, your legs and chest protesting but you couldn't help it. Being so close filled you with excitement and the feeling rose when you saw the edge of the tree line.

Running through it, you slowed to a stop, seeing the main road that would lead to your freedom.

I probably came out a little too far from the site... If I walk along the road I'll run into them.  You thought as you started walking beside the road.

"Going somewhere?" A voice asked and you froze.

Footsteps walked up behind you and you slowly turned to see Elijah's stern expression. He put a hand on your shoulder and squeezed, causing you to wince, and directed you away from the road and back into the trees.

"Unlike the rest of those idiots I realized where you were headed and waited here. It took you long enough to show up." He scowled as he looked down at you. His brown eyes were filled with such intensity that you looked down at the ground, dread building up inside you.