The Final Moments

Somehow you did end up dozing off for a while, your dreams filled with the escape plan and how it could potentially go wrong. It haunted you so much that you woke up in a cold sweat, staring out the window at the setting sun.

This is ridiculous... Have faith in everything, it's going to work.

You massaged your temples and steadied your breathing as you glanced at the clock which read 6:13 PM in bright red numbers.

Slipping the phone out of your pocket, you read through the two messages you had missed while you were asleep. Sending your last message, you felt as if a metaphorical door had shut and locked itself. There was no going back now, no matter what. There was too much to risk, too many people who could end up hurt.

Sliding off your bed you went into your bathroom and brushed your hair and teeth, staring at your reflection. Your eyes were sunken in with dark circles around them. You seemed paler and had lost a noticeable amount of weight.

Silently you reached your hand out and touched the mirror. They were turning you into an empty husk, how had you not noticed it sooner?

For once you let your mind wander to what would happen after all of this was over. Your father would probably never let you out of his sight again, your past life was gone forever. You sucked in a breath and exhaled it shakily, pulling away from the mirror and gazing at the now darkening sky.

Layken, Abby, Riley... I'm so sorry you got caught up in this...

You shook your head clearing it. You'd do this and leave, for their sake.

You sat down on your bed and stared at the wall imagining all the scenarios that could come out of the plan and dreading each variation your mind came up with. Eventually, you heard movement down the hall and let go of a shaky breath readying yourself for what was about to come.

Except they didn't come to your door, the footsteps walked past them and you were left frowning at the handles. Surely you had to be going soon, Josephine had said it.

Falling back onto the pillows you looked at the small designs etched in the ceiling and reviewed what Gabriel had drilled into you.

The Roe estate was 8,000 acres in total, the front 1,280 were a stretch of forest, the one you and Mason had driven through. You shuddered at the thought as a sickening feeling rose within you. It was about 2 miles to the edge of the road, about 25 minutes worth of running, but it could be done.

You were startled out of your thoughts when someone knocked on your door. You looked over to see Xander come through the door, his yellow eyes brightening when he saw you.

"Are you ready?" He asked, lingering by the door.

You glanced around the room one more time, "I think so. Are we going now?"

He shook his head, "It'll be a few more minutes but I'm going to take you out to the car anyway."

You sighed and slid off the bed walking to him. It was dark outside now, the moon slowly rising in the sky. He smiled at you and held out his hand. Hesitantly, you took it.

"Vincent's house is very nice, I'm sure you'll love it there as much if not more than you like this house." He said, leading you down to the hallway to the staircase.

You nodded absentmindedly, your heart pounding. If Xander stopped talking and listened you were sure he'd be able to hear every beat.

The two of you descended the stairs and you had to force your feet to move every step. The last time you tried to escape they pulled a gun on you, what would happen this time?