Chapter 38 - Forgive

Are you ready? Are. You. Ready?

You guys know I don't make song suggestions, but a great song to listen to while reading the confession and after Cato confesses would be "I'm Not the Only One" by Sam Smith. It fits perfectly in my opinion. The video is either in the sidebar or above.

-----------

Cato pushed the door open to the dining hall, and immediately, all eyes were on us. Everyone here was foreign to me.. everyone except Finnick of course.

I wanted to run and hide, to get away from all of these strangers, but Cato's hand tightened around mine.

"Don't worry," he leaned down and whispered.

I nodded slowly, even though my worrying was eating me alive, and he led us into the room. The doors slammed shut loudly behind us, as if telling us that we would be locked in the room for the rest of our lives.

"Hello," Finnick spoke up, giving us a sly grin with that beautiful mouth of his. Honestly, how can a man be so beautiful?

Cato immediately plastered on a frown and pulled me closer to his side.

"Hi," I answered for the both of us. Cato was becoming too angry to speak any words that wouldn't consist of swears and death threats. As for the girls, of course, they couldn't take their eyes off of him.. off the muscles that bulged out of his t-shirt, his strong jaw line that contracted, or his green eyes that gave everyone a hard glare.

My eyes travelled around the table, getting a quick glance at everyone. One girl caught my attention as she gave a small wave and smiled at me as genuinely as she could. Her hair was brown but blonde at the same time with highlights peeking out all around her head. She had a small, heart shaped face with rosy pink lips set into her smile, but what really caught me was her eyes. They were brown, a soft brown but also a sea green.. just like Rue's and maybe even a little of Cato's eyes. They weren't as golden brown as Rue's, but held the same softness and kindness.

I suddenly was able to recognize her.. She was the victor that won just last year from District 5 at 16 years old by tricking another girl into a pond where she later drowned her.

I smiled back and continued looking around the table before I stared too long at her. As I looked at them, I noticed some of the other more famous tributes, though I couldn't remember their names, where they were from and when/how they won the Games.

Haymitch was standing discreetly in the back, smiling sympathetically at me. He was also glaring at Cato like he really wanted to hurt him. I wanted to run to him and give him a long squeeze, but I didn't think Cato would let go of my hand. So, I resulted to waving at him. He gave me a weird look but nodded at me.

"Why don't you two stop standing there like statues and sit down?" one of the victor's asked. She was sitting next to Finnick, staring at us like we were crazy. We probably seemed crazy, standing there gawking at them for who knows how long.

We slowly made our way to the table, Cato eyeing all of them suspiciously. They were all smiling at him, though, as if everyone knew some secret that I wasn't told.

Oh, yeah. That's right, they do know this secret.

Cato and I sat next to one another in the middle of the table, with the blond girl sitting right next to me and Finnick sitting right next to Cato.

It was awkwardly silent once again. Really, what do we say?

"So," a girl with black, short hair spoke up. "How about we stop being so damn awkward and introduce ourselves?"