Chapter 15 - The Interview #4

No one guessed who was in the greenhouse correctly, but I predicted that so.. happy reading!

Cato's POV:

So we're back into another one of our disagreements. I just don't get why she can never accept what I say to her. And now, here we are, on the roof, and I'm trying not to admit that I would sacrifice myself for her, but I guess I'm just going to have to tell her. It's like she wants me to express myself like a wimp.

"I don't want to win," I finally tell her, turning so that I wouldn't have to look her directly in the eye. I could see her expression from the corner of my eye, and it was too fucking cute.

"Why?" she asks me after a while of her shocked staring.

"Because," I sigh, combing through my hair with my hand, "that means that you will die. And.. I don't want that to happen." There, I finally said it. It's out there. I feel like I'm whipped already.

Rose's face breaks out into the most beautiful smile I have ever seen, her eyes gleaming bright. She looks completely perplexed, and surprisingly, she looks happy.

"But.. why?" she asks again. I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

"I hate the fact that you have to be here because of the Games. It's like they're punishing you for something you had no control over. You don't deserve to be here. You're innocent, sweet, and you definitely should not have to die because of a mistake one District made 74 years ago," I explain, hoping that she would understand and that I wouldn't have to explain anything anymore. I just want to make out.

"Really?" Another fucking question.

I nod. "I wish that I could have you to myself forever, but I can't. And that hurts. I want to punish the Capitol, and I've never felt that way before now. But trust me, I'm going to take care of it, and you." I pull her closer. I don't know why, but it's like when I start confessing my feelings for her, I cannot stop, but I never know what else to say.

"What do you mean, you're going to take care of it? What are you gonna do?" she asks worriedly.

"Nothing. Just know that I'm taking care of it," I answer. She doesn't know of my plan, but it's quite brilliant.

"Are you going to get hurt if you do whatever this is?"

I keep my mouth shut and face the opposite direction, not wanting to hurt her any more than I do on a daily basis.

"I don't want you to get hurt because of me," she says, trying to look me in the eyes.

I shrug. "It's really none of your business."

"It is, if you're doing this for my sake," Rose says with a bit of fire. There's the sexy angry girl that I like. She's getting upset, meaning we may argue.

"Just forget about it, okay? You'll know that it's happening when it does. And when it does, look for me," I say, finally looking her in the eyes. She looked scared. Yeah, I was doing this mostly for her, but I also have my reasons. Reasons that she does not need to know about. One of them is my brother. I don't want him being reaped into the Games, especially since he wouldn't be ready. He was not trained his entire life like I was, and I want to make sure that it stays that way.

"Okay. But why are you doing this for me?"

"Why do you keep questioning me?" I snap. "Can't you just be content for once?"

Rose shuffles away from me a little bit, taking her arms away from me. "I am content. I just really want to know why."

"Because," I sigh, "I keep telling you that I care about you more than anything right now. It kills me, and I don't know why I even feel this way about you, but I want to do whatever it takes to save you. I try to get you out of my head Kitten, but I just can't. It's so difficult to think about what might happen to you. If I have the chance to try and get us both out of here alive, I'm going to try, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to get you out. I need you, and if I lose you, I don't know what I'd do," I confess, yet again. This time, she better understand. It seems like she does, because she has her lips on mine in seconds and her arms back around me.